Really noisey hens

• 8 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Really noisey hens
« on: June 06, 2012, 15:10 »
Since we have introduced 3 new hens 2 weeks ago our old girls have turned into noise making machines, it must be driving the neighbours mad as they sqwark, it is driving me mad!!.

They do it mainly when the new hens go into the coop. I have shut the door so they cant get in there but they still sqwark. it maybe that they want to come out their pen (they sound like toddlers having a paddy)  they can only come out if we are there at the moment due to building work going on. Do i stop them coming out at all for a few days to stem their frustration and to try to stop them sqwarking (they have more than enough space in their pen). They nver used to come out as they have more than enough space but since we let them out a few weeks back they seem to think it is a right that they come out ev ery waking moment of every day!

The new hens have their own nesting box so i could split the coop in two but ideally i would like them all to live together.

They dont appear to be chasing and feather pulling then new hens as much as they first did but obvuiously they are still not happy about having new hens in the coop and i really dont know how much longer i can put up with the noise before i have to get rid of the older hens  so would be really greatful of any suggestions.

Is it better to just let them stay together and put up with the noise in the hope that it stops when they get used to each other or do i seperate them and continue to introduce them slowly as i have been doing?

Sorry hope this makes sense, i am rambling now as i am distracted by the waining and sqwarking coming from the garden lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 15:29 by symonep »
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Really noisey hens
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 19:59 »
Sorry I have no answer, but I do feel sorry for you!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 20:03 »
if they are used to getting out of their run then yes they will be noisy to get your attention - and as you can see it has worked. All I can say is persevere with them. They will forget the great outdoors before too long.
Staffies are softer than you think.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 15:34 »
When we introduced new ones to our older hen she spent a few days literally screaming at them, they in turn ignored her, yours are stamping their authority on the area and also screaming at you to let them out, if they have been out previously then yes they will ask in their own way to be let out.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 20:08 »
Thanks guys, they havent been out today and seem to be better than yesterday. they must really have the hump because the older hens have been going to bed at 7.30pm  :lol: they are stubbon old birds.
I am winning them around with meal worms though  ;)

will see how the next few weeks go, you never know one day they may live happily together!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01 »
Just a little update, on Sunday my light Sussex took herself off into the new hens coop and laid an egg! We had no idea why and I joked to my husband saying she was showing the new hens where to lay. Well the next day I opened the coop and there was the light Sussex egg again and with it 2 small eggs!
Then last night I looked in the coop all all 6 were cuddled up together so it looks like after just under 4 weeks they have been accepted and will not live together a little more happily than before.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08 »
Then last night I looked in the coop all all 6 were cuddled up together so it looks like after just under 4 weeks they have been accepted and will not live together a little more happily than before.

do you mean will live together a little more happily? In which case whoopeee  :D

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15 »
Ha, yes will live together happily, silly iPad and it's auto correct and stumpy fingers is not a good mix  :blink:

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 15:12 »
Thats great news now you can relax and enjoy them!! :D

xx
noisey kockerel

Started by clucking mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 10:03
by joyfull
xx
why are my chickens so noisey

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 08:31
by Sassy
xx
noisey cockerel

Started by bluecharlie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 20:42
by woodburner
xx
Are quails noisey to keep? Also can you put them in the same run as chickens?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 08:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 37 queries.