New to growing tomato

• 8 Replies

Suziees

New to growing tomato
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:15 »
Hi all

I have managed to grow a few tomato plants for the first time, do I need to prune them? and they are in the greenhouse but can I move them outside now?

Please help, thanks
Suzanne :)

steved

• Experienced Member
Re: New to growing tomato
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:53 »
Hi
All depends really on if they are cordon or bush types?
If theyre cordon types then you should nip out the sideshoots that appear where leaf axils meet the main stem. Bush types are just left to get on with it!
Secondly it depends where you are as to whether they can go outside yet or not-fine if youre on the south coast like me, but im sure i saw on the weather over the weekend that Scotland has a few close to frosty nights coming!
I think you get a better result with tomatoes if grown in a greenhouse-do they really need to come outside?
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 07:52 »
I think you get a better result with tomatoes if grown in a greenhouse-do they really need to come outside?

You'll get an earlier result with a greenhouse, but -depending on the season, of course - I usually find my outside ones crop really heavily and have a better flavour. They certainly crop far better late in the season when the greenhouse ones have run out of steam.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 16:36 »
I've given up expecting anything from outdoor tomatoes, especially at the allotment because they get blight (and I get no tomatoes).

I try every year and am disappointed every time so I concentrate on the unheated greenhouse where I get earlier and later tomatoes (my last tomatoes last year were in the first week of December)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 16:55 »
I wouldn't be without my outdoor toms, they're my mainstay. I do take precautions against blight if needs be, but didn't need to last year and never had a harvest like it.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 17:58 »
I wouldn't be without my outdoor toms, they're my mainstay. I do take precautions against blight if needs be, but didn't need to last year and never had a harvest like it.

Last year was probably the best ever for them here too DD.

Paying due caution, we're doubling up on these, (some Black Krim - thank you - in the GH, and some outside!

Got 50 or so Moneymaker (cheap - yes I know - but they're for cooking and generally chucking around), and 12 Gardener's Delight outside here and at the plot and 13 in the GH. The B.K. will be an interesting experiment!

Like a twit, I grew Roma for several years as cordons, only realising from here recently that they're bushes! The fruits were fabulous though...

Keep at it Suziess! You'll be fine, just follow the rules here!

Suziees

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35 »
Thank you all, I'm now thinking I've got both types. What's best? Are the bush type any easier or better ?

Reason I wanted them outside is its very small GH so wanted room for winter seeds

Suziees  :)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00 »
Do you know what types they are Suziess?

They all look about the same when they're very small!

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:05 »

Then you were lucky. The tomatoes at the allotment got blight but the ones in the greenhouse did great.

Suzanne - just google the name, there are lots of places on the web that will tell you what type they are (cordon or bush).

xx
Upside down tomato growing

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 00:06
by muntjac
xx
Tomato plants not growing

Started by kimmy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 15:22
by Trillium
xx
Tomato growing question

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 17:41
by mumofstig
xx
growing tomato plants

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 20:00
by Growster...

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 36 queries.