green soil!

• 9 Replies

mushroom

green soil!
« on: November 05, 2007, 00:36 »
hi,

I notice that some of my topsoil surface is going green (looks like algae). It's not wet. The soil is clay-ish loam. Should I be worried about the algae? What does it represent?

muntjac

green soil!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:14 »
the soil is to damp and its in the shady area ..... let the light in to  your soul...........ooops soil   :roll:
still alive /............

mushroom

green soil!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:00 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
the soil is to damp and its in the shady area ..... let the light in to  your soul...........ooops soil   :roll:

It's in the middle of the plot! - unshaded. The soil itself is dry as it hasn't rained for a few days here. I was wondering in ammonium sulphate could do this... I'll post a photo if you think it will help.

gobs

green soil!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:23 »
I don't know about am su, but I would not worry about them. Every now and then they turn up, have not seen them causing any problems. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

green soil!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:16 »
thanks Gobs for the pointer - seems that it is a biological 'crust'. It seems to be following where I applied liquid feed, but in the sunshine (it is not present under already established plants which shade the ground)

mushroom

green soil!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 20:48 »
actually, it seems site-wide, the adjacent allotments are the same. prob nothing to do with fertilizer, more with soil conditions.

muntjac

green soil!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 23:43 »
do you need to water a lot or is it always damp ,, i cant see the chemical thing happening on all plots  and even then on one plot it wouldnt last long .... there is a micro moss that causes what looks like algael bloom on soil ..... possible?

mushroom

green soil!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 23:51 »
do you need to water a lot or is it always damp ,, i cant see the chemical thing happening on all plots  and even then on one plot it wouldnt last long .... there is a micro moss that causes what looks like algael bloom on soil ..... possible?

Possible... maybe now is when it blooms?

Right now, the soil is dry. - we haven't had rain for a week. Maybe it's a property of the soil??? - to form crusts that have algal blooms

muntjac

green soil!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 00:01 »
are you real close to the sea and the eind that comes of it ? this could be what the marsh has  here its like a salt bloom?

mushroom

green soil!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 00:24 »
are you real close to the sea and the eind that comes of it ? this could be what the marsh has  here its like a salt bloom?

dunno m8, the soil my plot is on is topsoil that was shipped in, i think 10-15 years ago.. a large drain runs underneath all the plots on my row (about 30 or so plots). The soil here is a clayish loam. In the rain, the top of it will get sodden, the wet will permeate only slowly. The soil feels rich.
The soil at the top of the site is poorer and more stony.

yes, the site is near the sea  - about 5 miles from the sea. because the soil has been replaced, it has never been marshland. The site is quite elevated - we are about 20 metres above sea level, considering the short distance from the sea. The site itself has not been marshland, historically, though it may have been in ancient times. A small stream runs alongside the site border, the bottom of my plot is along this border.

The ground isn't briny or saline from what I can see. Too much stuff grows here for it to be that. it is very fertile.

I'm thinking it is just algal bloom in fertile soil. maybe the soil is acidic? I've associated acidity with algae and stagnant soil for some reason.

time for me to get a pH kit!

xx
Green on top of soil

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 13:34
by Goosegirl
xx
Soil going green in pots

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 18:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
Green mould (?) growth on the compost/soil.

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:41
by Christine
xx
Green Stuff(Most probably Moss) on the soil in greenhouse.Help Please?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 00:04
by peterjf

Page created in 0.885 seconds with 36 queries.