Lots of question

• 12 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Lots of question
« on: June 04, 2012, 21:02 »
Hi, My growing is doing well, but I have numerous questions for you all.

Today I bought some lovely looking salad leaf plugs.  Little gems and oakleaf.  I've planted the larger plugs and left the smaller where they are in the green house.  I've planted them into a wall mounted trough so chicken and slug protected, but will the wild birds eat them?  I have some strawberry netting I could cover them with.  Also do I need to harden them off so should bring them into the green house tonight?

Radish  I sowed a trough a couple of weeks ago and the seedlings are a couple of inches and doing really well.  Is it worth transplanting or just thin and give the seedlings that don't make the grade to the chooks?

Brussels - I bought some plugs of these today, I've got to harden them off over the next few days and I'm just preparing where they will live, but as a rough guide, what on earth do I do with them, how far apart etc? Never grown them or anythign similar before.

Toms - I have a number of plants, some seedlings from a friend who are growing on slowly but nicely, stil only a few inches.  A cherry tom plant that has a few flowers opening on now and I've not done anything with this since I bought from the centre a month or 2 ago and then yesterday I inherited the neighbours 2 huge plants, again starting to flower, big bushy things, look really healthy, put all mine to shame.  I've grown tome int he plast but not properly and left them to their own devices.  What I want to is to grown them properly this year, so what's all this pinching out, setting, etc etc I read about I have no clue.  I can take pics of the plants if that would help?

Cues - never had a greenhouse before, so this is all new.  I have 3 plants, looking healthy enough.  I've them in growbags currently, but been realing about them, so I'm thinking I have some small builders trugs, I think I'm going to put holes in the bottom of them, get an oblesik thing and train them up that - would that work?  Then what, do I need to do anything to them or leave them to get on with it?

Melon - my hubby turned up with one of them for me yesterday!  I need to repot - into what?  I have an empty compost bag I could use? Perhaps sit it in a tray and water from the bottom?  Do I need a trellis or something for it?  I have spare pea netting and spare weldmesh I could rig up?

Sweetcorn - ready to go out yet, or should I repot into larger pots first?  Again hubby brought home yesterday so about 10 stalks in a tiny tub but all healthy looking.

Would you believe this isn't all I'm growing and the other things I know what I'm doing.  Really going for it this year!

Any help much appriciated!

mattwragg94

Re: Lots of question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 21:31 »
Right here we go:

lettuce: fine to go outside, does not need to be netted

Raddish: i dont think these will transplant very well, so just thin them and give them to the chook's (i personally dont thin them out, but to be on the safe side i suppose its best to thin them)

Brussels: plant them around 12inch/ 30cm apart (well i have anyway)

Toms: when we are on about picnching out toms at the armpits - we mean to nip out the little shoot that grow from the leaf joint, however you only have to do this if they are cordons varieties, if they are bush just leave them!

Cucs: if you have already planted your cuc's into growbags i would leave them there (i grow mine in growbags and get great crops. But if you realy want to grow them in trugs, then yes that would also work so long as you put some sort of support up like the obelisk you mentioned (But whatever you grow them in they will need support).

Melon: potting it on into the compost bag will be fine. Melons are fine growing either up netting/ trellis or on the greenhouse floor.

Sweetcorn: Yep fine to go out now - when planting it out amke sure you plant it out in a block, so that enough pollination takes place!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 21:54 »
Brussels need more space than that Matt. They need as many inches as you've given them cms!

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/vegetables/brussels-sprouts
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 22:03 »
whaaaaat  :ohmy:, i didn't realise they needed that much room, oops :lol:

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 22:24 »
Wow, thanks for all that.  I have the cues in seperate grow bags currently and so I need to replat them in order to be able to support them - I think, I'll have another look tomorrow, I just was reading last night people having them in 12" pots so I assumed they needed more root space than a grow bag would allow.

So, about this 30", I don't have that space for all the plugs.  It was just a single tray, but with 12 plants for £1.25, now who could resist!  So would you plant less and stick to the 30" or plant them all with less room?  I'm preparing my border now, bit I've got a pumpkin, my sweetcorn and my brussles to go in.  I could plant them closer and give them more room once the sweetcorn are done?  Didn't seem like a good idea though from what the link said about the roots needing to be damage free.  Anywhere else will either be damaged from my extension that's getting built soon or wind.

Sweetcorn.  I did know about the block planting as I've successfully grown it up here before, but then I just had 6 plants, so 2 lines of 3.  I think this time I'm going to do a sq of 9 and see how that goes.

Raddish - so you don't thin, what happens then? Do some just win out? - maybe you didn't have a 1 & 2 yr old helping(!) you plant the seeds?  Don't even get me started on the state of my carrots.  Not even in a straight line.

Cordons varieties???? huh?

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:14 »
On the tomato front, there are 2 main types of tomato.   Most are cordon varieties which have to be supported by canes.  For these types you have to pinch out side shoots that start to grow at the point where the main stem and leaf meets.   Bush types don't need this pinching out treatment and can ramble about a bit, but I still find they need support.   You need to know which type of tomato you have in order to treat them correctly.  So I would find out from your friend what varieties they have given you.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 13:18 »
I have the tickets frm the one I bought and the 2 that I inherited last night, I'll go and have a look when it stops raining.  My friend is back from hols the end of this week so I'll ask her then

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 18:45 »
Well thanks for the  info on the cordon.  I've checked out the 3 I know the type of and all are cordon.  I've took masses of foliage off the 2 inheireted ones.  1 of these now has 1 main stem and I've wrapped it quite well around a cane.  The other however I've only mangaged to get down to 2 main stems as the joining point of these is below the soil line I'm worried about disturbing things down there.  I've put canes in against both stems and I've pinched out all subsequent side shoots on both.  What should I do now?  continue with the 2, cut above the soil level or pinch out below the level?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 19:18 »
Going back to the sprouts rcf:

fewer plants properly spaced will give  abetter crop that more plants squashed together

They usually need staking as they get bigger, and the ground they ae in needs to be well firmed. if they rock about, the sprouts are not firm and solid.

Hope that helps a bit
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 19:33 »
That does help.  I'll maybe see if my parents will let me put some in down at their house, failing that I'll give them away to neighbours

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 19:34 »
Plant swaps are great --- you never know what you might get  :D

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 21:05 »
I thinned out my radishes last week and transplanted the thinnings in a new row mext the existing ones. They are a tad behind but they are growing fine now.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 21:26 »
Oh well I may try transplanting them, they seem sturdy enough and there are enough for about 3 times what I can grow in the tub.  I was going to sow another tub this weekend coming for a continual supply, so a tub of slower transplants may bridge the gap nicely.

xx
Lots and lots of tomato side-shoots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 21:04
by Pescador
clip
Comfrey lots and lots

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 10:30
by John
xx
lots of questions

Started by wneva on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 09:29
by allotmentann
xx
Black fly - LOTS!

Started by oscar71 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 07:53
by lettice

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 37 queries.