Petrol driven equipment - do's n don'ts

• 3 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
Petrol driven equipment - do's n don'ts
« on: June 02, 2012, 17:35 »
I need some advice on petrol equipment: strimmers, tillers, lawn mowers etc.

I need to understand the best way of managing the fuel on these things.

I have a Ryobi strimmer (2- stroke, 2 years old) and a Mantis tiller (4 stroke, bought this year and I love it).

Now obviously I dont use these things every day of the week so there is a lot of fuel sitting around in the petrol reservoir and in my fuel can in the garage.

I read that petrol deteriorates and can cause problems to the carbs/ spark plugs (which is probablywhy the strimmer wont start at the mo) so how do others manage their fuel to keep the equipment running.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Flatcat

Re: Petrol driven equipment - do's n don'ts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 18:42 »
We've never had any trouble with fuel

Our chainsaw started after (quite a few pulls) on a 2 year old tank of fuel which is rather unbelievable really.

Our ryobi strimmer only gets used once every coupkle of months and that runs fine too

We have 1 5l can of unleaded and 1 5l can with mixed 2 stroke, although I think the rule is that you are only allowed to store 5L maximum

I have drained tools in the past. 2 stroke items can just be tipped back into the can, and then you pump the primer a few times to get the last fuel out, and tip out again and it works a treat.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:10 »
Like flatcat says, Pour the fuel out of the fuel tank back into the fuel can. I then start the machine on what is left in the machine. It runs for a second or two then stops. I then know there is no more fuel in the equipment.
You can get an additive to put in fresh petrol that will keep it in good condition for a year. Briggs and stratton sell one that they recommend for use with their engines. It isn't expensive (compared to a strip down at the workshop) And I can't recommend it enough.

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34 »
Have to agree with Gwiz,I use a similar additive from our local motorcycle shop that is meant for snomobiles,use it it my garden machinery and vintage agricultural machinery and never a hint of trouble.

xx
Girls n petrol driven power tools

Started by EzLou on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 23:37
by mkhenry
xx
equipment shed

Started by Gwiz on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 20:26
by richyrich7
xx
Lawn equipment

Started by Yorkie on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 08:44
by Yorkie
xx
Shared equipment?

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 20:53
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.