Weed Supression Fabric - MyPex

• 19 Replies
Re: Weed Supression Fabric - MyPex
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:36 »
I thought I would post an update.

Vegetables are growing well  through the fabric.  Onions were made for it.

Unfortunately for the answer to the MyPex permeability question, the rain has not done me any favours; there has been so much rain that it was bound to get under the fabric some way.  If we had had as little rain as in recent years I may have been able to tell the difference but everything is haven't lots of water at the moment.

The seeds have germinated nicely and I have removed competing weeds.
Thistles and potatoes (missed as I dug it over) grow under the fabric and lift the fabric as they strain desperately to find light from the little growing holes.  The allotment was riddled with thistles - one of the reasons I am using fabric.

My only problem now is deterring snails - I haven't had many problems with snails in previous years.

simonwatson

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 14:01 »
The fabric provides an ideal habitat for slugs and snails unfortunately, it's its only real drawback in my opinion. If you're not averse to slug pellets then chucking them under the fabric before putting in down and putting them around the growing holes is still miles easier than weeding.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 21:55 »
I struggle a bit with slug pellets.  Maybe it's a little bit phobic of me but I just don't like the idea of putting a poison down next to food that my children are going to eat.

When I can I use copper to deter slugs.  In fact I have just assembled a couple of those cheap little greenhouses with 4 wire mesh shelves.  I have raised it off the ground by inserting 4 short lengths of copper pipe underneath.  So long as I don't let it lean against anything it should keep the slugs and snails and puppy-dog's tails out.

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34 »
Can anyone suggest a good (ie, cheap) place to buy mypex, in larger quantities say 50 or 100m rolls? Thx.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25 »
I don't think it's mypex but I just ordered some 100g/m2 woven weed control fabric from http://www.qvsshop.co.uk/weed-control-fabric-63-c.asp
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

xx
Yuzet weed suppressant fabric as mypex alternative?

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 09:34
by mumofstig
xx
fertilizer and weed fabric

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 15:44
by gavinjconway
question
Weed control fabric

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 00:07
by Salmo
xx
Anyone tried the weed fabric with copper?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 09:42
by drmoonshine

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 36 queries.