green mulch

• 3 Replies

gummyboots

green mulch
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:31 »
Hi there, just joined so second post in 2 mins... :wub:

I'm a lazy gardener so don't weed as much as I probably should. Where I have left some weeds to grow a bit, after a vegetable has established itself, the soil seems fresher than elsewhere. Anyone else investigated this / have opinions about living mulches??

simonwatson

Re: green mulch
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35 »
The soil surface will be damper, as the weeds will prevent evaporation from the surface, but they are also grabbing all the nutrients close by them denying them to your veg.

Dead mulches do the first without doing the second.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:45 »
most weeds take something from the soil, so don't help your veggies by leaving them to grow there :(

I'm reading a book by Gertrud Frank - Companion Planting, and it seems that it is better to leave stuff which you would normally remove to the compost heap on the surface to decay. This keeps nutrients and moisture near to the crops. She even goes as far as sowing early rows of spinach (in what will be the gaps/paths) between rows, in order to cut them and leave the leaves as an in-situ mulch.

gummyboots

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:53 »
That's good news and as a lazy gardener I do that a lot as it is!

I see with certain plants, root competition is a problem (I'm thinking of carrots and the like)...but we really have such a lot of much added every year (we have 2 cows). Do you think the weeds really take very much out? By the way - I'm growing for feeding rather than for having lovely looking plants/beds. When weeds get too tall I lop at them a bit, but generally leave smaller ones - especially the spreader types.

Dry mulch is the proper solution I see. Was just wondering about my weeds that's all - people do talk about green mulch, so I was a bit interested in how that might work. Thanks a lot!

xx
green manures under mulch

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 11:20
by HLS
xx
still no idea about green manures on mulch...

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 22:56
by SidReal
xx
growing green manures under organic mulch

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 19:55
by SidReal
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 38 queries.