Straw bale growing

• 6 Replies

Kirpi

Straw bale growing
« on: May 31, 2012, 17:01 »
My other experiment this year - I got hold of four free straw and hay bales (2 of each) and parked them alongside each other to make a planting stage.

Watered them well, let them rot down a bit and watered them more with nettle tea, coffee grounds and more water. They still look like bales outside but inside they are a nice black composty looking block.

Problem is the plants I have put in so far: sweetpeas, a tomato plant, a couple of corgettes and a row of onion sets - just to see what each plant would do - require loads of water, pretty much 4 daily cans across the 4 bales.

This bed will be for potatoes next year so I will just knock the bales over across the bed and grow the spuds under this as I have done with compost, mowings, manure and straw this year.

Don't think I'll do bales again.

It's interesting how I have actually missed working with soil.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Straw bale growing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 19:07 »

I think the idea was to submerge the bales in water for quite a few weeks or months, not just give them a watering.    Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 19:57 »
Yes, the bales were heavily watered but of course, the water just drains out of the bottoms of the bales.

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 19:58 »
I'm trying this for my tomatoes,Isaw it in a magazine and liked the look of it.
It's my first year at growing anything at all so I'll see what happens .I've been putting a full bucket on each bale for a week so far and plan on planting my toms in the next few days.
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 20:27 »
I am hoping the bales will be ideal for my sweet potatoes as the inside has rotted down quite well.

I will compare this against one or two planted in compost rich soil.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 21:08 »
Some interesting experiments you are doing Kirpi.  

I also like experimenting and would like to try a hot bed type approach for my greenhouse tomatoes,aubergines and peppers to see if this improves the productivity (ie create raised beds using fresh manure topped with compost and then empty at the end of the year).

Good to share results, sometimes you can have happy accidents when trying out different techniques.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 21:24 »
I have 4 bales in the GH growing 7 tomato plants and 1 cucumber. the plants are in bottomless pots sitting on the bales. The bales themselves sit on plastic gravel trays - any water draining through creates a reservoir.

This is my 4th year using this method (i have never tried hay) and find that once the season gets underway i need to apply 5L of water per day across all 4 bales (ie 5L in total not 4x5L) and that is sufficient, i can even miss two or three days without any wilting but i dont make a habit of that.

I have only had an occasional case of blossom end rot which is caused by erratic watering.

In addition to the 5L of water the 8 plants share 2L of 1% Tomorite every other day applied to the pots.

The theorey is that the plants develop feeding roots in the pots and water specific roots in the straw, the practice was briefly used commercially 50 years ago

xx
raised straw bale beds

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 12:23
by hermon
xx
Growing in straw

Started by horsepooisgood on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 21:16
by compostqueen
xx
Growing mushrooms in chicken coop straw?

Started by Carla on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 09:30
by 8doubles
xx
Growing sweet potatoes in straw bales next year

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 19:53
by Spr0ut

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 36 queries.