Poorly hen - not eating/drinking, looking very subdued

• 13 Replies

Speckly Sarah

I've kept chickens for 4 years and 10 weeks ago I introduced 2 new hybrid hens to my flock of 3. It took a while for them to get on but everything is fine now however one of my 25 week old hybrids, a grey hen, has today started looking really lethargic. She's not interested in anything (including meal worms!) and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I've checked her for mites and lice and she looks clear and I've checked her vent (which is clean) and felt in case she was eggbound.  She actually let me pick her up and cuddle her this afternoon and yet she is usually very flighty and not keen on human contact. She is probably the lowest in the pecking order because she's nervous but she has no visible injuries etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem could be? Poor "Hetty Hen" is looking so poorly! :0(

jhub

• jane
Re: Poorly hen - not eating/drinking, looking very subdued
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 17:28 »
I'm not sure and someone with more experience will be along soon. I'm sure you've checked her crop and breath? Are her poos normal? Any snicking/sneezing or runny nose?
She will need fluid so have you tried springing water with some poultry tonic?
I guess a visit to the vet if no better.
Hope she recovers.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 17:36 »
at that age she is new to laying so will possibly have a few hiccups and one of these is laying a soft shelled egg (or even shell-less). This takes a lot out of them as they have nothing hard to push along and get out so they look miserable. Once she has managed to get it out of her system she will be fine again. If it bursts after she has laid it don't be surprised to see the others and her eat it - this is perfectly normal to hide any evidence from predators and also to get extra protein  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 17:40 »
Should read syringing , sorry

kegs

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 18:19 »
You didn't mention whether she's been wormed recently.  Hopefully she'll be better tomorrow and it's just that she's eaten something she shouldn't have.  Try to tempt her with food and water if you can and let us know how she is tomorrow.

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 22:20 »
She hasn't been wormed since I've had her (8 weeks) but doing so now is a bit of a problem as I use Verm-X and because she's now not eating I don't know how else I could administer these worm pellets. All I can think is I may have to try her tomorrow with something really yummy and the Verm-X crushed into it.

I have not checked her crop as to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing... any advice???

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 23:51 »
Personally I wouldn't rely on Verm-X but would use Flubenvet.
Her crop should be full at bed time and empty in the morning before she starts feeding. If not she could have an impaction. If the crop is like a squishy fluid balloon and her breath smells then it could be sour crop- have a look at the 'stickies'as there's a section on these problems.
Have you managed to get any fluid into her?

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:56 »
She's drinking now but still not very interested in food. Will definitely have a good look at her crop, however I've noticed she is doing very very green poos! Sort of emerald green for want of a better description. Any ideas? Might she have eaten something poisonous in the garden?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14 »
The green poo might be bile as she's not eating anything however it also might be due to an infection if she's that unwell. Here's a link to poo pictures.  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
Is she  still lethargic?
I do think she should be wormed with Flubenvet, you might be able to dose her by putting the medicine on a grape.
If she doesn't pick up soon you might want to consider taking her to a vet.
Fingers crossed.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:45 »
Or the flubenvet sprinkled onto some tasty, slightly moist maggots.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 17:25 »
How's your poorly hen?

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 18:31 »
Hetty hen is looking much better thanks :D She's perked up no end! ...I wouldn't say she is 100% but she is definitely much much better. I can't believe how much better she's looking.

I have given her the Verm-X (because I already had it) for the last 3 days. I know you say that Verm-X doesn't work if she already has worms, merely prevents them, so I've also bought some Flubenvet which arrived yesterday, not that I know if she has worms. I've not seen any signs of them. I still wonder whether she ate something she shouldn't have in the garden?!

Anyway, I was wondering is it too soon to treat the chickens with the Flubenvet if I've only just given them Verm-X? I don't want to completely overload their systems or make Hetty worse? What do you all reckon???

jhub

• jane
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 22:32 »
Most poultry have a worm burden and many poultry keepers use Flubenvet regularly to keep it under control. Some worms are visible to the naked eye but others are not. The problem arises when there is a heavy infestation resulting in symptoms and a lowered immune response making them susceptible  to other infections.

There are many different diseases in chickens and the difficulty arises when similar symptoms are associated with different causes.

If you are reluctant to use Flubenvet you could ask your vet to send a poo sample for analysis although there is a cost implication with this strategy.

Personally I prefer to use Flubenvet and there should not be a problem giving it having used verm- X. You must weigh up the pros and cons and ultimately the decision is yours to make.

Here's a link to a previous post discussing these issues
 http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=78982.0

Good luck

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 22:10 »
As she's a much happier chicken now, I think I'll wait a few more days before I use the Flubenvet. I just don't want to medicate her up to the eyeballs is she doesn't need it all. If she shows any signs of deteriorating again I'll definitely go for it but thanks so much for all the advice everyone. So pleased she looking so much better as I really thought she was on her way out bless her!

xx
not eating and drinking!!!

Started by jackie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 17:07
by joyfull
xx
HELP - MY CHICKEN IS NOT EATING OR DRINKING?

Started by SPEEDY MERTYL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 08:07
by Helenaj
xx
My chickens are drinking more than eating.

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 10:52
by joyfull
xx
Hen not eating or drinking - update and new questions!

Started by bexybeck on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 18:17
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.