New allotment weed war!!

• 32 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment weed war!!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 21:34 »
You need to be careful about the provenance of grass clippings from a source you don't know.  If the lawn has been treated with a weedkiller within the previous xx mowings or yy time, then the clippings will retain the weedkiller ... and kill your plants  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 22:18 »
You need to be careful about the provenance of grass clippings from a source you don't know.  If the lawn has been treated with a weedkiller within the previous xx mowings or yy time, then the clippings will retain the weedkiller ... and kill your plants  :ohmy:

It is a well made point Yorkie.  I do always ask on my requests for clean clippings minus dog mess or weed killer.  I should have mentioned this.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

amurdin

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57 »
Many years ago... :ohmy: , when i used to do new footpaths over soil, we used to spray with glyphosate but trick of the trade was to add just a few drops of vinegar to the mixture, kicks starts the proccess and also when it was dead the vinegar would help the glyphosate continue travelling down the ground and stops weeds regrowing for a bit longer. and is still safe to grow :D

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 10:09 »
I don't like weedkiller even glyphos and won't have it where my veg are going to be going. It forms no part of an organic set up either, as I note that the original poster wants a totally organic plot

The run off from insecticides and herbicides etc is the reason for our declining bee population and people use them far too freely these days because they can afford them. It's a shame

Esplanade

• We'll be pushing up the Dandelions ourselves by the time they give us a plot
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:37 »
I absolutely agree with Compostqueen.

we're all the custodians of a micro environment which is itself - part of something much bigger. the decision to be totally organic is a free one and very commendable.

Hot water is a brilliant means of killing stubborn weeds and ideal for keeping paths up to scratch. It takes such a small amount to kill off even very stubborn weeds in difficult areas and will sterilise a lot of airborne seeds.

yettobenamed

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 14:44 »
I don't like weedkiller even glyphos and won't have it where my veg are going to be going. It forms no part of an organic set up either, as I note that the original poster wants a totally organic plot

Too right mate, I'm keen to keep everything organic and whereas I've used chemical weed killers in the past for paths, driveways etc I'm keeping away from them for where I'm growing my own food. 10 years from now I don't want to find out Glypho is the new asbestos and I've been chowing down on it every night on my dinner!!

Has anyone tried the gas powered flame type weed torch/guns? I'm thinking if I run a flame over the soil before I dig and then again once the roots are exposed this may go some way to killing the little blighters off without resorting to chemicals

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 16:43 »
Our local organic new-agey type commune place has a flame gun which they use all the time and they swear by it. It's one that comes with wheels to carry the tank so it's a serious bit of kit. 

I like the sheet mulch (black woven) as it gets rid of all the surface weeds so you don't have any thatch left to deal with as you do with weedkiller.  It does take a while but if you go down that route you have to be prepared to wait.  I did get sowing and planting immediately by just  cutting the turf off the first bed, to get me going with onion sets, and watched those grow while making the next bed.  Most of my plot was covered in either sheet mulch of cardboard for ages

I just didn't want to do the slash and burn thing. It's just not me  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 16:49 »
Just a word of warning about the flame guns

Many years ago when I had a plot I decided as it was dry weather it woudl be good to burn off the big weeds.

Outcome was a fire that got half way across the fallow field next door, and several rather irate farmer friends black and sweaty from beating out the flames. I was really frightened the flames were going to reach the hay fields.

Calm day when I started, wind came up and that's the warning. I had buckets of water to hand, they just were not enough

Today's models are probably easier to control, but...... be careful
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 17:00 »
Yes, the last thing you want is the tinder dry (well, it was last week  :D) grassy weedy stuff catching fire.  I have a huge allotment hedge so I have to be very careful fire wise  :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 22:14 »
could work on a path at home though!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 23:01 »
I note that the original poster wants a totally organic plot

Have I missed something because I found no mention of wanting an organic plot before I posted? :wacko:
Cheese makes everything better.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35 »
I note that the original poster wants a totally organic plot

Have I missed something because I found no mention of wanting an organic plot before I posted? :wacko:

I reckon the truest organic way is just to dig everything out and clean the soil by hand! That way is also the most effective in the long run as well.

Seeing some of the violently coloured cardboard at my local supermarket makes me wonder what sort of ink they use in some overseas countries...

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 20:55 »
I use packing boxes ie the brown ones that shops have things delivered in they are usually nice and big too

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 21:04 »
I also use only brown or white cardboard and avoid the coloured cardboard for the purpose as I too wonder about the chemicals used in the paint.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 21:16 »
Chemicals in printing ink are safe to compost these days and therefore safe to use on the plot.

xx
Whats this weed on my allotment ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 14:56
by diggerjoe
xx
Weed Killer when starting new allotment

Started by gundeep on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 20:19
by upthetump
xx
Weed suppressant for allotment paths

Started by vikingraider on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 11, 2023, 14:36
by rowlandwells
xx
New Allotment plot that's covered in weed and grass.

Started by paul_holmes on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 09:58
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.851 seconds with 29 queries.