Fiiiiiiiiiiires

• 25 Replies

gobs

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« on: November 03, 2007, 20:49 »
How do you do them?

Burning diseased foliage on the fast first of all, what's your method? :wink:

Talk your heart out, nobody is listening. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sally A

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 20:58 »
I always try for the slow smoulder, it's more friendly to the neighbours, but a short sharp burn with an apology also works.

muntjac

fire types for use survival skills training
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 21:00 »
make a fire ,chuck the stuff ya wanna burn on top after you light it ,i prefer a tipi shaped  fire for that kind of burning quick and hot

some other backwoods fires

Tepee - The traditional "camp-fire" arrange in a cone shape and light at centre. Easy. Works well with damp wood.
Lean-To - Place a green stick into the ground at approx. 30 degrees, pointing into wind. Place your tinder far back under this stick and add fine kindling lean-to fashion along the sides. Ignite your tinder and as the kindling catches add more, thicker kindling.
Cross-Ditch - Scrape a cross about 30cm across and 7cm deep into the ground, place your tinder in the centre and build a pyramid of kindling over the top. The cross provides a good draft regardless of wind direction.
Pyramid - A long burning fire requiring little attention to keep alight, useful through the night. Lay to logs parallel on the ground, bridge these with smaller logs, follow up with another layer, smaller and at right angles to the last. Build up several layers until you have a flat surface of wood a bit thicker than your thumb. Either light a starter fire on this or carry burning fuel from your cooking fire. This fire will burn downwards.
Indian Fire - This is for an overnight or semi permanent campsite. Arrange your wood around your fire and end feed it in. If your need extra heat for cooking etc., then push the fuel into the middle of the fire and let it burn up, if you just want to keep the fire going then pull the fuel apart so you are not wasting fuel. Digging a small bowl under the main fire will enable the embers to stay hotter longer.
Star Fire - The star fire is the next extension of the Indian Fire and uses 4 big logs, traditionally at the four points of the compass. The fire is regulated again by moving the logs in and out of the fire.
Criss-Cross Fire - This fire is best suited to a cooking fire, it burns up quite quickly to leave a good even bed of coals. Look at the illustration below to see how it is constructed. Light a small Indian fire first and then build over the top of this.

Altar Fire - On very wet ground or peat ground, you will need to make an altar fire. This is basically a fire that is raised off the floor on a platform. You need to make sure that the platform is lined with a suitable material that will not burn. You need to do this on Peat as you risk setting the ground alight.

Hunters Fire / Trench Fire - Based on the same idea that the fire is sheltered from the wind by logs or a trench. If the prevailing wind is from east to west, the trench should also be from east to west, allowing the fire to be fanned. Use green logs to line a hunters fire as they do not burn through so quickly.

"Suspension" fires - These fires are designed to hold the food or pot over the fire

Reflector fire - This type of fire is especially good for backwoods cooking because you can direct the heat straight at the food. Use logs or large stones (not flints) behind the fire, held up with wooden stakes driven into the ground. Take care not to sit opposite the reflector or you will be baked as well!!!
still alive /............

gobs

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 21:03 »
Well, I mean on the fast, as you do not want diseased foliage hanging around, but it's soft, damp and green.

What's your hopefully friendly method of sending them into flames? :)

Sally A

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 21:06 »
If you're going for little and often, how about one of those dustbin incinerators?

gobs

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 21:14 »
Hang on Munty, waaaaaaaaaaaay too much information there for me.

I'm interested in a way of burning dampy greeny diseased stuff, without putting much chemicals on, if that was possible, ta, honey. :)

And make it simple can you, so foreign gals can get it, right. :wink:  :lol:

muntjac

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 21:16 »
the fire you will do without thinking about it is a tipi fire ,,,,,,,, inbuilt from the start of time im reliabably told  :lol:

gobs

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 21:36 »
So you do a tepee arrangement (bear with me very bad at fires) and that's gonna be good enough to burn damp foliage, without drenching it in stuff, is it?

And what's your best idea of starting it? Without drenching it in any nasty chemicals? if it's not dry.

Thanks, love.

xxxx Gabi

mkhenry

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 21:37 »
Munty.You are on a mountain.You have a candle but its very windy.You have a stove but its hard to light and you do not have much fuel.You also have a book of dried up paper and only one match.

What do you light first. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

muntjac

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 21:41 »
the match :wink:

muntjac

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 21:42 »
but ,not a lotta people know that     :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mkhenry

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 21:53 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
but ,not a lotta people know that     :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yer but I knew you would. 8)  :lol:  :wink:

muntjac

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 21:58 »
believe it or not mate they are still using it as a into in survival course's lmao :lol:  :lol:

mkhenry

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 22:01 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
believe it or not mate they are still using it as a into in survival course's lmao :lol:  :lol:

Thats incredible it was being used in the 1950s but I suppose it serves it purpose still :?  :wink:

gobs

Fiiiiiiiiiiires
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 22:03 »
Yeah, right, very funny, but can any of you give a clear answer to me question, then? :roll:

Very funny about the matches Henry, but we all know wet material does not burn easily, so what's your environmentally friendly answer?

If you got one, ta.xxx

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 36 queries.