Mo's chicks...broken leg?

• 17 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Mo's chicks...broken leg?
« on: May 26, 2012, 18:38 »
So delighted this time that 5 out of 6 postal eggs hatched. The chicks are beautiful , lively and chirpy BUT one has a dislocated,  broken or deformed leg and can only scrabble around. The others are following Mo out into run area but this one stays in nest. Is the outlook hopeless for this one? Seems calm enough unless left or picked up (but that is same as others) Might it heal? Shall I try and hand rear? Oh dear..there really is always something to worry about!

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Re: Mo's chicks...broken leg?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 18:43 »
When we had chickens years ago on our farm we would have culled a chick with a damaged leg as in most cases it was the kindest thing to do.
The chances are it will be weaker than the rest and may lose the battle to the food and or perhaps get pecked a lot, perhaps until it dies.

Problem is with keeping some animals you have to be prepared to do the deed or pay the bet to.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 19:42 »
Yes I know that is something I might have to be prepared to do. :(  But as these are pets really I wondered if there is a chance I can help it. I would be prepared to hand rear or help rear. My son especially keen to give it a few days at least to see how it fares. Obviously if it is going to be suffering or under undue stress than we will have to do what is kindest.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 19:43 by Jo57 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 20:47 »
is it spraddle leg (splay leg)? In which case it can be treated quite successfully.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 22:37 »
Here is some information on spraddle leg and treatment.   ;)

www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 22:53 »
thank you ANHBUC I will try the plaster first thing,,,I looked at the link. It looks just like my little chick but only one leg! Do you think that is possible? I will try the plaster though as might work as a splint. If I could I would go out now but would have to rummage around to find right one. Thank you. SOOO good to have this site to help.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 23:07 »
I think it can just be one leg so it is worth a try.  You could improvise with sellotape or masking tape and kitchen roll until you get some plasters.  Use the kitchen roll to stop the sellotape sticking to the chicks legs.  You could also try sports bandage, the type that sticks to itself which would not stick to the chicks legs.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:42 »
Had a go. Will put photo. Looking at photo now I wonder if need to redo as feet don't look straight ?????
first aid1.jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:01 »
That must be the funkiest chick bandage ever.  If you have any straws you can cut a small length and cut the tube to slot over the legs before puting on the tape.  Hope that makes sense!  It looks a really fiddly job though, good luck.  ;)

How is the chick when trying to stand? 

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06 »
It falls to one side and sort of uses its tiny wing to support. It manages to scuffle forward but we are doing a lot of helping at the moment if it is stranded and we tuck back under mum. Ok we'll have a go at making a tiny splint.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 12:28 »
so replastered with a straw under but leg is not being held straight. Looks better now it is not going out sideways. Now it is pulled up/clenched and all weight on other leg then uses that and bad leg to try and move forward using wing as well. we'll see how it goes for a couple of days and then I might be needing different advice  :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 19:35 »
It did say on the link that the chick was unable to stand the first day but much better the second day so give it atleast 24 hours.   ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 20:56 »
my hen broke her toe and i used a lolly pop stick as a splint.

hope your little chickkie gets better soon
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 08:13 »
 :( Oh dear. Just had to do the kindest thing for my so sweet lame chick (named Tiny Tim by my son) It was obviously suffering and not going to keep up with its siblings. I chose now before work so school trip to farm with 6 year olds would be a distraction after but ended up howling and floods of tears. I don't think I'm cut out for this. Now got to go to work looking like a wreck  :( I'm not hardened enough  :(

Casey76

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:56 »
Splay legs with chicks raised by a broody I always cull.  They have a lost more to deal with than incubator/brooder raised chicks.

xx
broken egg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 19:01
by joyfull
xx
Broken Egg

Started by violet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 17:05
by violet
xx
Broken toe?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 17:11
by Jeanette
xx
? broken leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 09:48
by yellowpenguin

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 38 queries.