Allotment fire...

• 15 Replies

Benandbill

Allotment fire...
« on: May 25, 2012, 23:25 »
I've dug out about a billion weeds and they're nice and dry in my wheelbarrow.  I also have 2 other full bins full and lots left to dig out of a brand new plot.  I'd love to burn them and if I did they'd be contained safely in a metal bin.  I'd rather do this than throw them down the banking as the ash would do the garden some good.  Also, if I did it I'd do it at a sensible hour when nobody has their washing on the line.  At a rough guess I'd say the nearest house must be about 6 or 7 hundred metres from my plot and also there are many trees bordering their back lane that would block off some of the smoke.  Plenty of people are having smokey berbecues in their back garden but we have a rule on my site that says it's now out of season to have fires :(

Does anyone know if this is a universal rule of thumb or even if there's a law against it, or is it just up to each individual local authority?  Only wondering in case it's something some of us on our site can contest.  We're not silly and irresponsible people and I'd only need to have the fire for about half an hour at the most?

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
Re: Allotment fire...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 00:27 »
Taking on board what you have just said, I would go for it. If anyone does complain, you can then smother the flames with a couple of shovels of earth and then create an oven..........and cook your weeds instead - same result!!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:00 »
If you are on a council run site it is their rules.  They do have a duty to prosecute under the Environmental Protection Act, if for example, a business is producing smoke from its premises, but most councils say the occasional bonfire is not viewed as smoke nuisance.  You can check on their website what stance your local council takes.

Having said that, weeds do smoke a lot even when dry.  We have a no bonfire rule year round on our site and a guy the other day was burning weeds when I got there.  Didn't take long for someone to complain and if they go to the council, rather than speak to you direct, you can get a stern letter.  Another plot holder on our site got one last year and it said in no uncertain terms he would lose his plot if he did it again.  Your choice whether to risk it - you know your site best :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:01 »
Bonfires used to be ruled by local bye laws. I wouldn't just go for it without finding out first.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 06:06 »
I agree with the last two posts. Our site has a no bonfire rule and it would be highly irresponsible to take aboard Impd's "go for it" advice.

10 years of hard work down the pan for the sake of one bonfire? I think not.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:22 »
I agree too, I do apologise for my Lidl pilsner fuelled bravado last night!!! :nowink:

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:15 »
Can you not transport them home and burn them in your own back garden?

You could then take the ash back for use on the plot, I agree with you some rules are plain ridiculous generally from ridiculous people that enforce them as well  ;)

This is one of the many reasons why I am so pleased to be able to have my lotti at home in my own back garden, I can do whatever I want at home.

Sadly though as has already been said, rules are rules and you agree to abide by them when you sign your agreement I would not jeopardise your tenancy sounds like you have already put a lot of hard work in.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 13:15 »
how about bagging them up and leaving them in a corner for a year? 

I did this with some and forgot about them until the other day, and when I opened the bags they were full of beautiful humous for putting back into the soil!  :happy:

Another bag that I just filled a few weeks ago is also almost rotted down, although it has some way to go as it still stinks to high heaven!   ::)

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 15:53 »
Our site rules state that burning can out be carried out at sunset .

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 15:54 »
Ooh! Very Wicker Man!  :unsure:

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 18:40 »
Oh no, i have a name and a number!!! Sorry different show but same bloke.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 21:39 »
We don't seem to have any rules at all about bonfires or barbecues but there is rarely an issue.

I think this lack of rules might be because we are a very long way from any dwellings, roads or railway lines
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 07:53 »
All of Medway sites have to ask for permission from the Allotment officer and they fire has to be after 7pm, also when we have had one we phoned the local fire station and let them know.
I think if they get a call they still have to come but at least they don't have to rush. I might be wrong on that bit tho. :blush:
Thanks
Kris

Benandbill

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57 »
Interesting idea about rotting the weeds down and re using them SnooziSuzi, one I might explore a bit more.  Not sure how practical it would be for me as I have about 4 or 5 varieties to contend with including the dreaded mare's tail and I'm sure you should avoid composting certain types of weed?

Thanks all for your comments re the fires, I will be playing it safe and not having any until September of course but it's interesting to know about the different rules on this.

mobilekat

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 15:42 »
We are lucky that the local council take garden waste in the green rubbish bin, so I now weed with 2 trugs- one for my compost bin, and the 'nasties' that the council can have.

It may be worth doing the same in the future, so you know what you can safely compost, and then take the rest to the local tip, bit of a pain, but prevents risking issues due to bonfires.
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
FIRE !!! Help please

Started by brightgirls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 12:45
by aelf
xx
what to do with ash from fire

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 10:08
by Annie
xx
Using my fire ash?

Started by JulieSh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 22:35
by Annie
xx
Fire Ash

Started by Iceburg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 16:24
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 38 queries.