Spring cleaning sorted

• 7 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Spring cleaning sorted
« on: May 24, 2012, 21:38 »
Well yesterday we moved the henhouse and run to another part of the garden.
 I then gave the house a complete disinfectant. It soon dried out in this heat  :D
It then got a complete spray of pesticide, chicken safe, and all fresh bedding in for them. shavings and shredded paper in ther nest box. they do like to snuggle down in that.
 I've been worming the 'girls' since Sunday so now on day 5 of 7 so thats nearly done. found it best to do first thing in the morning while they are hungry. I put 3 pinches, one for each hen, into a small amount of cooked rice with a drizzle of olive oil mixed it all together and they gobble it all up, then they can have their pellets ad lib all day.
And just tonight I have put spot on onto the backs of their necks. Oh I have also put a good sprinkle of D Earth powder in their dust bath. should I put some on them as well?
So I think we are all sorted. I haven't actually seen anything in the house or on them but I'm erring on the side of caution  :lol:
Spring cleaned or what?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Spring cleaning sorted
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 22:15 »
While you are in the mood you can come and do mine seeing as you did such a thorough job!   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:16 »
I put a question on yesterday asking what products i need to be buying to do the spring clean on coop, ground and birds....got no replies.
Please can you let me know what you used in order that i can get everything i need as a job lot....thanks.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:35 »
Hello Loretta,
Here's a link from the FAQ section on the poultry forum- take a look at the other 'stickies' in this section as they contain really useful information
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=70229.0
Best wishes

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:45 »
Also
Stalosan  F is a powdered broad spectrum disinfectant powder which destroys worm eggs, coccidial oocysts, fly eggs and larvae. It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties, is absorbent and will help to reduce the ammonia smell created by the chicken's droppings.  Stalosan is a disinfectant powder and will not kill Red Mite or Poultry Lice

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 14:52 »
Thanks, will take a look. 

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 18:26 »
Hi Loretta cluck.
I used diluted Jeyes fluid disinfectant, which claims it kills bird flu, after I had emptied the house and vacuumed it out! When it had dried I sprayed it with some Johnsons spray for hens. I dosed them with spot on for kittens and the powder used was called 'Smite'. Oh and I wormed them with Flubenvet.
Don't know if what I used was correct, but I haven't killed them  :D
Hope this is some help.
I've never used the Stalosan F as I've not needed it so far.
Just need to get one of them to stop being broody and laying again and we will be sorted!
Anne

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 13:04 »
Thankyou.....i did the jeyes and spray yesterday in the sweltering heat....also ordered the Stalosan F and Diatom Earth, poultry shield etc, so will be remortgaging my house next!!! The OH cant believe how much money weve spent of late on our 6 little girls!  Worth it though, cant imagine not having hens now!!  Thanks again.

xx
all sorted.

Started by Ygerna on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 16:51
by treacleminer
xx
Crusty Hen - now sorted by vet, thanks for support

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 00:48
by Lindeggs
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
cleaning up poo!

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 12:44
by coco

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 37 queries.