Please help - onions.....

• 21 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:29 »
I ordered onion sets from ebay about a week ago. I've been waiting and waiting patiently, and suddenly today this guy sends me an email saying he's so sorry but he doesn't have the onions I ordered - he was expecting an order himself which fell through, and now instead of onions I'm getting my money back :cry: .

I ordered the red elektra type and the white shenshyu. Thought I'd be planting today, or at the latest next weekend. I'm at a loss now. I know it's late, and well, everything I've planted this year has been late, and I don't want to give up as I'd really love to be eating my own home grown onions next year - even if they will be smaller than they ought to be. Where can I get onion sets this late? I've tried T&M but they are done taking orders for this year. Dobies don't seem to have the 2 types I know.

What other Autumn varieties are there, so I can look around and place an order today for delivery next week? I'm not going down the ebay route again....
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:30 »
just go to
WWW.THOMPSON-MORGAN.COM

fone the order through  :wink:
still alive /............

jacnal

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 13:04 »
Thanks Munty. I'll order Monday - they're closed till then :(

Right, off to lunch with the in laws (made another batch of Aggy's pumpkin soup and apple crumble with apples from the foray :wink: )

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 13:06 »
what apples  :roll:  whistles slowly as he walks away ,,,,,, :wink:

WG.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 13:32 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Thanks Munty. I'll order Monday - they're closed till then
Thought you said that T&M had stopped taking orders for the year?

If you can't get them, just plant sets in spring.  They'll only be a couple of months behind the autumn-sown ones.  You always want to eat the bolters early anyhow.  :D

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 13:34 »
cant remember saying tha matey ..... :roll: .. i only deal with tm n fer my flower seeds and that the american site lol cheaper  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 13:35 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
cant remember saying tha matey ..... :roll: .. i only deal with tm n fer my flower seeds and that the american site lol cheaper  :wink:
Not you!  Jacnal in her orig post  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 13:41 »
oks :wink:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 18:20 »
Wilko's were selling them a couple of weeks ago and I think your best and fastest bet at this stage might be to ring around local retailers if they had any left and pick up and plant tomorrow. :wink:

Failing that, there is Robinson's online, but ain't cheap. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jacnal

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 20:26 »
Quote from: "WG."
Thanks Munty. I'll order Monday - they're closed till then
Thought you said that T&M had stopped taking orders for the year?

If you can't get them, just plant sets in spring.  They'll only be a couple of months behind the autumn-sown ones.  You always want to eat the bolters early anyhow.  :D

They have on the online catalogue. Worth a try over the phone - plan was to play the distressed, desperate newbie who's just realised she can plant onions hoping they go, ''well, okay just for you...'' lol! Might work! Humans are better than computers...

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
Re: Please help - onions.....
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 20:28 »
I ordered onion sets from ebay about a week ago. I've been waiting and waiting patiently, and suddenly today this guy sends me an email saying he's so sorry but he doesn't have the onions I ordered - he was expecting an order himself which fell through, and now instead of onions I'm getting my money back :cry: .

I ordered the red elektra type and the white shenshyu. Thought I'd be planting today, or at the latest next weekend. I'm at a loss now. I know it's late, and well, everything I've planted this year has been late, and I don't want to give up as I'd really love to be eating my own home grown onions next year - even if they will be smaller than they ought to be. Where can I get onion sets this late? I've tried T&M but they are done taking orders for this year. Dobies don't seem to have the 2 types I know.

What other Autumn varieties are there, so I can look around and place an order today for delivery next week? I'm not going down the ebay route again....

Try your local garden centre - they may still have some sets......

jacnal

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 20:30 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Wilko's were selling them a couple of weeks ago and I think your best and fastest bet at this stage might be to ring around local retailers if they had any left and pick up and plant tomorrow. :wink:

Failing that, there is Robinson's online, but ain't cheap. :roll:

Might try Wilkos :? , though I had a look recently and no joy hence the ebay route.

If all fails, I'll get sets forn the spring anyway, and plan better next year :roll: . I always say that... One day I'll learn to be more organised :(

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 16:37 »
Had occasion to visit my local 'Focus' branch this afternoon and they had plenty of sets left, including the red ones.....

spinny

dionne

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 14:58 »
Marshalls is were i got mine from,you can still get them from there.  :)

debjones25

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 14:11 »
Just rang up this minute and got some from here

http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/shop/2/index.htm

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 37 queries.