Lowering soil pH

• 5 Replies

bendipa

Lowering soil pH
« on: May 24, 2012, 19:50 »
Other than using  an ericaceous compost/feed, which can be expensive does anyone know if adding vinegar to watering lowers the pH of soil for any length of time? Has anyone tried it and does it actually work, or is vinegar found to be toxic to plants even in dilute form ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lowering soil pH
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 20:05 »
I think it is potentially toxic to soil organisms, and as it's already soluble I can't imagine it would have any long lasting effect.

I think one of the sulphates is ericaceous - iron, I think?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:55 »
Vinegar of the white variety should be used but it is only a temporary solution. Flowers of sulphur is a recommended solution.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:16 »
I'm using Chempak "chip grade sulphur" on my blueberries because the pH has crept back up to neutral since I planted them 5 or so years ago.

Like flowers of sulphur (which I couldn't get, but would probably work quicker) it is broken down by soil bacteria into various acidic sulphites and acids, but it does take several months, and doesn't really happen at all in cold soil conditions.
It probably works best if mixed well into the soil, which is a bit tricky with blueberries as they are rather shallow rooted.

Too early to say whether it's working for me, but it's the only "proper" treatment I could find in my researches.

A mulch of pine needles or peat moss can help as they both release organic acids as they rot down, and ammonium sulphate is an acid-forming fertiliser which can be watered in, although it's only really a source of nitrogen.

I would think that any sort of vinegar would only be a very temporary fix and might have unexpected side effects.
If your soil contains free lime it will always try to "buffer" the pH upwards whatever you do so in that respect no treatment could be considered "permanent."
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bendipa

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:18 »
Just from my old (shaky school) chemistry knowledge, any organic and mineral acid should neutralise lime, in the case of vinegar forming calcium acetate. However opinion seems to confirm that applying it may burn the roots of the plant and in any case majority opinion is that it only will lower pH for a couple of days which is useless.But how can soil pH which has been lowered leap up again unless you apply more lime?

I've read about sulphur, and the concensus opinion is that it's one of the best long lasting remedies for neutralising lime and eventually reducing soil environment to an acidic pH (<7). Only trouble is it's about the slowest remedy. It can take at least a couple of years to have an effect.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00498.htm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:19 by bendipa »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 13:09 »
Just from my old (shaky school) chemistry knowledge, any organic and mineral acid should neutralise lime, in the case of vinegar forming calcium acetate. However opinion seems to confirm that applying it may burn the roots of the plant and in any case majority opinion is that it only will lower pH for a couple of days which is useless.But how can soil pH which has been lowered leap up again unless you apply more lime?

Vinegar is a very dilute solution of acetic acid so doesn't have the ability to dissolve (and therefore eventually "lose") large amounts of lime, unless added regularly in industrial quantities!
Most soils contain some lime which will continue to try to reverse any attempts at acidification until it's all used up (especially if added to by using tap water, particularly in hard water areas.)

I've read about sulphur, and the concensus opinion is that it's one of the best long lasting remedies for neutralising lime and eventually reducing soil environment to an acidic pH (<7). Only trouble is it's about the slowest remedy. It can take at least a couple of years to have an effect.

Hope not - I got the impression that it should start to take effect within a few months in warm soil conditions, although it could well require repeat applications over a long period of time to make big pH changes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 13:25 by JayG »

xx
Fag ash in my soil!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 14:30
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Bad soil

Started by Mr. Potato head on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 15:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Top Soil

Started by Coin on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 21:53
by TheChilliMan
xx
soil

Started by doug hutch on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.