comfrey in green belt

• 6 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
comfrey in green belt
« on: May 24, 2012, 19:30 »
We have a green belt woods within ealking distance and i just happened to notice comfrey with blue flowers growing amongst the nettles. its quite a bunch growing in more than 1 place. i've read the thread about seaweed and private sea sides and I wanted to know if its ok to take some comfrey leaves from a green belt area?

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: comfrey in green belt
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 22:38 »
It will have absolutely nothing to do with whether the land is green belt or not, is it common land? Private property? If you don't know and it's the sort of place people just go for a walk or take the dog I'd say get snipping no one will lose sleep over it.
Faff free zone!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 22:54 »
It's not a protected species under the 1981 Act (which would mean you can't really do anything to it), but you can't uproot it.

So, picking leaves should be OK subject, of course, to having permission to enter the land.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:43 »

I'd agree with Yorkie, you have a ready supply of comfrey without it taking another bit of space up on your plot.   :)

savbo

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 16:08 »
from the description there's a good chance they are council-owned woods. Googling 'solihull countryside' shows there's a ranger service - they would know and would be the people to ask for permission. Can't see them saying no to a sensible request unless they have particular concerns (as an ex-ranger)

sav

starry

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 17:26 »
taking a few leaves wont do any harm we have some growing in the trees behind our house don't think anyone else knows what it is my mum always said if any one asked when the best time to take cuttings she would always reply "when nobody's looking"  :lol:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 18:32 »
Hi, yes, its common woodland where everyone walks through it. it has remains of an old castle  whose foundations are still there, so its kind of protected possibly for historical reasons.

the comfrey leaves are very big and surrounded  by big nettles leaves. i'm thinking the ground will be rich in nutrients especially nitrogen. i only wanted too pick the lower bigger leaves and let it grow. i was walking through a nature reserve (part of a public park) also within walking distance and noticed comfrey there too. i'll go during evening and pick some leaves 8).

i wanted to just leave them in a bucket with a half cup of water and let it decay, hopefully the smell won't be that strong  :wacko:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 18:53 by potatogrower »

moved
MOVED: Gardening belt bag

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 30, 2022, 15:37
by JayG
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Comfrey

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:46
by Yabba
xx
comfrey tea?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:40
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.