POL - is it me or are they not as available as they once were?

• 12 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
At one time you couldn't log into my local adtrader.co.uk without seeing lots of ads for POL hens but now there's only one or two listings and the chooks are more expensive than I would want to pay or are only Light Sussex

What's happened to all of the other chooks!?

Mrs Bee

We have a wonderful breeder near us.

Loads of different POL.

Loads of good advice too. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
When we started rearing our girls 5 years ago, it was just before Hugh F-W and Jamie Oliver started preaching about growing your own eggs.  We did really well for the first 3 years as everyone was just starting up.  But then, things just went on steadily.  For the first time in the 3 years we actually had POL.  Before that they were going as hicks and pullets.  We couldn't keep up with it!

However a lot of people have been put off by the price of feed, straw, whatever.  I decided to retire end of last year, and two other rearers/breeders near us have done the same.  Then another chap I know who buys his girls at 8 weeks old to grow on to point of lay put his prices up from £15 a hybrid to about £25 so a man told me the other week.

I only know the one lady north of Boston who still sells brown hybrids for about £5.50, but she doesn't rear them herself, although she says she does.  Their beaks are clipped, so I think she has a friend who has a commercial farm and she buys from them and sells on at a little profit.  But, saying that, they are lovely birds, nice and healthy!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Thanks GA.  If I just had that bit of land that I could put a few sheds on and raise my own I could set up as my own breeder up here, but I don't have the land or the money to buy it so it's a vicious circle really!

Will do some asking around at the local farms, methinks :)

GrannieAnnie

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
yep,  did that the other day GA;  most only have hatching eggs now and others don't have websites so I can't judge whether I want to visit them to see their birds... :( disappointing

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
I got my Black Rocks from an approved Black Rock Agent Janet McKay in Rowlands Gill.  Details are on here

www.theblackrockhatchery.co.uk/agents.htm

She then rang another farmer she knew where I got my Bovan Goldlines.  They were beak clipped which I didn't know about (green as grass) but that hasn't been a problem.  I found my Partridge Wyandotte Bantams advertised on www.birdtrader.co.uk

It is probably still early in the breeding season for point of lay.  My chicks are only 6 weeks old so you might have to be patient.

You could also try the direct approach and call at local farms who will probably point you in the right direction.  Good luck with your search.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

Thanks for that link ANHBUC, last time I looked at it, it wasn't very up to date.  Many of the older agents had retired, but they have been taken off now!

fd01

There is some kind of shortage for sure. I've looked all over for my hens. Internet, papers, asking people. Finally got some quite cheap, the breeders are looking for anything between £12-£35 a bird for POL, now as a young man on a modest salary that really isn't something i can afford to pay. My a friend of a friend owns a small chicken farm, he wanted £6.50 a bird for ex battery hens!!!!!!!!!

I too have looked on the 'Poultry for sale' section but have yet received no replies from any of the e-mails sent. I paid £4 a bird for my Light Sussex and Golden Hamburgh chicks, but they're not sexed so it's anyones guess! The guy i got my Light Sussex POL from charged me £20 for the trio and was very knowledgeable and helpful. I rang back to let him know how they'd settled in and he has two more 12 week old Sussex, and is hanging on to them for a few more weeks to confirm they are hens before letting me have them for £15 the pair!

I think a lot of these breeders take the Michael with their prices, some of the big breeders obviously make a lot of money from it and why shouldn't they? But £25-£35 a bird...come on man! Monopoly springs to mind! And i'd be half tempted to get started myself as i have a nice double allotment but no incubator or brooder (yet  ;) )

What's wrong with Light Sussex bantams Suzi?  :tongue2:

F

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Glad you are managing to get some birds fd01.  As I said before it is still early in the season. 

I love my Light Sussex Bantams but am finding it really hard to work out what sex they are.  My Welsummer Bantams turned out 4 female and 2 male which is great.  They were easier to sex and there was only one that I was unsure of at day old.  I have decided to put leg rings on the Light Sussex as I see anything which indicates cockerel and have ringed one up to now.  None of the neck feathers are pointy so I am really confused at the moment.  I suppose I will learn in time either that or I will be clueless and just have to wait for eggs or crowing!   ::) :lol:

GrannieAnnie

I know what you mean about prices fd01.  I never wanted to fleece anyone when I reared my own chicks.  The last lot I had for selling last year, were £8 each, and they were the Shaver Blacks which are the same cross as the Black Rocks.

While I was away, a man came to look at the last ones and my OH said they are £8 each at POL.  Would you take a fiver the man said!!   :ohmy:   Brian told him to go find some somewhere else!!!!!   ;)

But I'm not trying to sell any, don't worry, I retired late last year, and only have our layers now!  ;)

fd01

£5! Cheeky sod springs to mind there Annie! I suppose "shy bairns get nowt".

I know i'm just getting into chicken keeping but it'd be nice when i get everything established to have a small breeding flock to sell them on at a reasonable price and get others into the hobby. It's not cost me much at all, i bought a 25Kg bag of layers pellets for £7.50 and they're hardly touching them at the moment, they're out all day eating whatever creepy crawlies they can find! Like little dinosaurs when a juicy worm is pulled up!!

So i suppose prices would depend on food consumption. Now my chicks...they don't eat the food, they hoover it up!! Greedy *.

Today i've been offered black rock pullets from a fellow allotment holder at £5 a bird. I don't mind them being young, it's good for me to see them learn the tricks of the trade, flying, scratching, being a chicken!!

We've all gotta look after eachother  ;)

F

splash101

i sold a couple of my last years hatch RIR's POL and i only asked £5 each, think i conned myself there. No wonder they snapped my hand off. I should have put on the swap shop for a bag of feed, i'd have been better off.
I think in a few weeks the market will be flooded with POL so you might get a better selection if you can hang on a few weeks

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 37 queries.