red mite predators

• 3 Replies

ehs284

red mite predators
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:43 »
As title. Obviously cannot be used in combination with usual measures but interesting. They are subject of an article in British hen welfare trust newsletters which many of you will read anyway, but if not here is the link:
http://www.netmailing.co.uk/ebooks/bhwt/2012/issue-2/newsletter/index.html

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: red mite predators
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 15:01 »
That article is written by the company that sells them so not an unbiased opinion. Also I am always concerned about introducing a foreign species into the wild this has caused problems in the past.
Also I dont understand how they suddenly stop eating the redmites and wait for their numbers to build up again.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 18:49 »
Quote I dont understand how they suddenly stop eating the redmites and wait for their numbers to build up again.
unquote

It's badly written. With any predator prey relationship the balance is dynamic. Prey increases so predator numbers follow just because food is available. When prey reduces then some predators starve and lower numbers are to be found. The cycle repeats. Here it means that red mite must exist and multiply to provide food BEFORE the predator numbers start to increase. Probably not what we would want in our chook houses.
I certainly agree about the risks of deliberately introducing  species, especially predators - just look at Cane toads in Australia - which emphasises that it is always a good idea to watch what others are doing. Today's commercial hen house saviour (organic, ecologically sound etc, etc) could be our problem in the not too far distant future.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 20:06 »
I understand all about prey and predators and how the predators numbers will increase when the prey is plentiful but I cant help thinking that these little predators will then try and find an alternative food source rather than starve such as ladybirds or lacewings - both of which are good guys.

xx
Predators

Started by Viv on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 14:00
by Viv
xx
Predators with two or four legs?

Started by Swing Swang on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 10:19
by two webbed feet
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 38 queries.