Re-Seed Carrots & Plant Out Onion Seedlings?

• 2 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Re-Seed Carrots & Plant Out Onion Seedlings?
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:35 »
Some time last month, just before we had those days of rain ad low temperatures I had sown on my plot carrot and parsnip seed, sad to see that there has been little sprouting, apart from weeds. I am wondering if the conditions have been too harsh and if so would it be better to re-seed, than wait any longer?

Also, have a tray of onion seedling now about an 1/8 thick and 3 inches tall, are they too immature to plant out?

Appreciate any advice and or experience on this, Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Re-Seed Carrots & Plant Out Onion Seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 14:11 »
My parsnips are just starting to appear after 4 weeks - don't know how long yours have been in because my not-that-good-memory seems to think that April was wet from start to finish!  :unsure:

If yours have been in a similar time and don't appear in the next few days of warmer weather I suggest you re-sow parallel to the existing rows if possible - you could always hoe them off if both sowings germinate.

Your onion seedlings sound relatively thick for their height - mine were at least twice that height at the same thickness, and are already out in the garden.

Yours might be better planted out too, although it would be a fiddly job - I'm relatively new to onions from seed so I'm not 100% sure whether that's the best advice, but time is marching on now for onions.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Flump

• Experienced Member
Re: Re-Seed Carrots & Plant Out Onion Seedlings?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 16:20 »
My carrots and parsnips are yet to show  :( it has been four weeks now but I'm giving it a few more days.

cheesy
When to plant out onion seedlings

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 08:42
by Weston grower
xx
When can I plant onion seed?

Started by SG6 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 19:38
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Best Time to plant Onion seed for an early crop next year?

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 12:57
by kentishlad
xx
Onion seedlings

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 13:25
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 1.203 seconds with 37 queries.