Keeping parsnips cool

• 5 Replies

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Keeping parsnips cool
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:17 »
I sowed my parsnips late this year as an experiment direct into the bed on 7th April.  About 50% have come up so far, which is much as expected, and I would expect the rest to follow along eventually.

But I have an idea that parsnips don't germinate above 15deg and the weather is about to turn warmer (hooray :D) Should I try to keep the parsnip seed bed cool, or just not bother?

Wholesale watering the dry dusty soil will be frowned on t'Committee who are policing our local drought order.

Covering with white fleece is likely to warm the soil even more, unless I build some sort of  tent contraption to allow air to flow under the "sunshade. Parsnip bed is 3m x 5m

Next year I think I will go back to sowing nips in early March, even though this year's March temperatures were like summer.  

Somehow, you just cant win !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:25 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

savbo

Re: Keeping parsnips cool
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:39 »
Hi there

not sure about the 15C bit. This site

http://www.seedman.com/veggerm.htm#tabii

gives optimum of 65F which I make to be 18C, and a max of 85F which is 29C

Hope they're right cos I've just station-sowed parsnips where I ran out of Richy-tube seedlings...

sav

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 13:58 »
The vast majority of veg seeds germinate best (percentage-wise and speed-wise) at considerably higher temperatures than they usually experience when sown outdoors in this country, which is not surprising since most of them were originally native to warmer countries than ours (parsnips originated in the Mediterranean area.)

Parsnips are very slow to germinate at low soil temperatures (6 weeks at 5C  :ohmy:) - optimum temperature is around 20C (depending on which chart you look at!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 20:52 »
Thanks Jay.   It's not the first time I have been using duff information :D   

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28 »
I have a 90 year old friend who gave up growing veg a long time ago but still likes to remind me that parsnips are the first outdoor crop to be sown each year, usually at the end of Feb/beginning of March.  ::)

This tradition was no doubt based on the fact that parsnips need a long growing season to grow to full size, and who knows, maybe early springs were much warmer 50 years ago (he says, pretending he's not old enough to remember that far back!)  :wub:

I don't sow parsnips until mid April at the earliest these days, because otherwise you seem to lose more in increased germination time than you gain in potential growing time, and also increase the risk of them not germinating at all.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:38 »
...and to be honest, I find a lot of my parsnips are actually too big, so I'm not worried if they're not all that size this year...

xx
Cool!

Started by monkey_drummer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2006, 00:05
by noshed
xx
Too cool for Toms in the greenhouse?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:47
by Kristen
xx
Got the tools now need the weather to cool

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2006, 12:41
by Oliveview
xx
Is it cool to gather seaweed?

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 21:34
by ptarmigan

Page created in 0.783 seconds with 37 queries.