Rhubarb Soup.

• 1 Replies

Benandbill

Rhubarb Soup.
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:01 »
This is not a recipe, it's a way of protecting your brassicas.  I haven't tried it myself yet as I've only just got a plot with rhubarb on it but it's something I read in Terry Walton's book and just thought I'd share. 

3/4 fill a bin with water and whenever you harvest rhubarb, put the leaves in the bin and stir them into the water and put a lid on.  Water your cabbages with a can that has a rose on the end so the leaves are covered with the stuff.  This putrid smelling mix keeps away the butterflies and when it runs down the leaves to the bottom, seems to keep away the root fly. 

Terry says his sprouts have turned out brilliantly when they've been watered with this.  Make sure you keep topping up with water when it gets low and adding leaves and giving a good stir - also after wet weather re apply as the reain dilutes the smell and it loses it's potency.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Rhubarb Soup.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:50 »
This has been brought up many times in the past and we always have to add the forum disclaimer:

"Sorry but this isn't licensed and therefore we cannot advise on it or condone its use".
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
soup

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 10:57
by mr Isaccs
xx
Nettle soup!

Started by Greengiant152 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 12:05
by Growster...
xx
Dandelion Soup

Started by JimG on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 05:23
by JimG
xx
Growing more soup

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 00:08
by Trillium

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 36 queries.