Soft Fruit - what next??????????

• 8 Replies

RichardA

Soft Fruit - what next??????????
« on: May 18, 2012, 17:26 »
We do very well with strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries and blackberries so we are thinking of other soft fruit to grow - the jam makers in the  kitchen have already put in a vote for blackcurrant and red currant but we would only need one bush of each -- can I ask if they are self fertile please or do I need several bushes???
Can I also ask if anyone has experience of white currant or any other bush fruits that are worth the space please
R

Growster...

Re: Soft Fruit - what next??????????
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 17:55 »
Blueberries? They need an acid soil, so make sure you have plenty of ericaceous stuff around, or buy some feed for them.

You can take cuttings late on and increase your bushes, but they're a challenge well worth trying for!

Apart from that, try some Alpine strawberries. They grow like weeds everywhere, and are superb when in with some of the more tasteless straws!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 17:59 »
One bush of each would give you a lot of fruit and they are indeed self fertile.

Whitecurrants are lush and if I had space I would have one --- have to wait until I reorganise a bit I'm afraid

Not bush fruits really, but logan berries, tay berries and thornless black berries are all worth giving space to, and they are easy to train along fences etc too

and another vote for blueberries -- very prolific after a few years  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 18:34 »
I planted some honeyberry bushes last autumn, but I've got no idea what they taste like :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 18:38 »
I have (ooops, sorry WE have)  ::) 1 whitecurrant - very prolific. 4 blackcurrants, 1 original and three cuttings all going strong.  2 Redcurrants - no show yet but hoping.

A Blaeberry, 3 honeyberry twigs! and a cherry being formed as an espalier.

The whitecurrant is a tad lacking in taste/flavour, but it will bulk up the other currants in pies, jams etc.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 18:51 »
I've got a soft spot for blueberries - not too easy, especially if your soil isn't ideal, wonderfully coloured and "bloomed" fruits with a great flavour and full of "goodness", and you even get a display of autumn colour from the dying leaves.  They are very hardy and don't seem to suffer from many diseases and pests either (except thieving blackbirds, of course!) :)

Only downside is that they are quite slow growing so don't deliver that much for a few years, but you can't have everything!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 19:38 »
I had white currants but didn't find them particularly flavourful. They yielded well and simply bulked up any shortages in the red or black currants.  Once a red currant matures it can yield quite well. I'm growing 8 black currants this year as I plan to do a bit of jam then juice the rest for bottled juices for winter.

My blueberries are finally blooming well this year and its a fight between fresh eating and blueberry jam, so I bought 4 more bushes - now have 14.

Just bought 2 honeyberry plants this year and look forward to trying them.

Gooseberries are also lovely, both the green and red and I have 4 greens now and just planted a red that I'll propagate later.

Also on the must plant is Concord grape. Not sure if this variety is available in the UK but it's the #1 grape for jellies and juices - which I'll do.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 20:08 »

I remember hot autumnal days picking bleaberries from the sandstone slopes around the Beacon Pike above Penrith.  Going home with a small pail full for Mam and purple tonge and lips.  ::)  Great memories.

Cheers,     Tony.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 23:12 »
Tayberries!

Marvellous fruit, and well worth the space.

Make sure you have concrete gloves when harvesting though...

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
soft fruit

Started by Judithm on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 08:18
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.