weighing accurately

• 11 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
weighing accurately
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:21 »
Hi I've just made my first soft cheese, but I needed to be able to weigh out 1% salt which would be about 1gm, would I need a set of electronic scales? do they measure these tiny amounts? or any tips would be great. Thank you :)

Debz

Re: weighing accurately
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:22 »
My electronic scales will weigh out a single gram if that is required.  They cost £8 in A**A.  I have had them for a couple of years and use them on a daily basis.  I can't remember what brand they are though.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21 »
would a pinch not do ,
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:13 »
would a pinch not do ,
chrissie b

I should think so, considering a 1/4 of a teaspoon is about 1.25g. 

Although I'd recommend electronic scales just for general use and being accurate!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:33 »
I tried weighing a gram on my electronic scales, and sometimes a 1/4 teaspoon registered as 1g and sometimes it didn't register anything at all  ::)

I think you'd be lucky to find any ordinary kitchen scales that were that (gram) accurate, to be honest :nowink:

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 15:09 »
Ask your local drug dealer to weigh it out for you, there good at doing grams... apparently  :nowink:
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 15:16 »

The memsahib spotted a set of digital scales (nutriscales)for sale in the chemists weighs in g s & lbs  also got kcal, Sat, Chol, Sod, Carbs, Fat, Pro, M+ and MR  whatever those are.

The chemist said it had been mispriced at £5:99 and should be £12:99 but she stood her ground and got them at the lower price.  :lol:

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 15:29 »
I have decent electronic scales which will weigh up to 5 Kg in 1 gram increments, but in practice like mumofstig said such a small quantity doesn't always register. You can get very small sets of scales which go under the banner of diet scales.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 15:51 »
If you think 1/4 tsp will do it, try it and make a note for next time. I have a digital scale but not sure I'd haul it out for such a tiny amount.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:33 »
thanks so much for all your replies, I will get the scales and experiment with 1/4 tsp I had no idea about such tiny amounts, I have a log book so will put all measurements in, thanks again back to making cheese today for me :D

sarajane

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:50 »
Would love to know how you made your cheese sneezer

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:41 »
As for making cheese, I splashed out on a cheese making kit which have the moulds, rennet, starter and press, and anything else you need for soft and hard cheeses. So have started with the soft cheese and making a semi hard cheese next and then onto the hard cheese.
If you wanted to make cheese Sarahjane please let me know as the instructions though easy are long and you will need rennet and starter, however to make a simple cheese like paneer all you need is milk just before the boil add lemon juice stir and watch the curds appear then drain through butter muslin then apply a weight to squeeze all the whey out leave for a few hours and their you have it basic cheese which is great in curries as it keeps it shape.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:44 by sneezer »

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 29 queries.