Growing Cucumbers in pots

• 16 Replies

jmc1949

Growing Cucumbers in pots
« on: May 16, 2012, 13:20 »
Could some kind person/s on this forum please advice me on the minimum size of plant pot that would be required to grow Cucumber Marketmore.  I've decided to grow them at home instead of on the allotment but they will have to be grown on in pots.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Growing Cucumbers in pots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 13:33 »
I'd given them at least 9" - 10".
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 13:41 »
I'm growing mine in 20L pots (about 12"), same as last year. They were very happy last time around and gave a good yield. But you know what cucumbers are like.

jmc1949

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 16:47 »
Thanks for the replies. I have some 12 inch pots which I will use, but I don't know what cucumbers are like to grow. This is the first time I've tried them, so fingers crossed :)

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 16:51 »
There's a saying that I think I heard first on this forum. Tomatoes want to live, cucumbers want to die.

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 17:08 »
i put 3 cues in the plot today,,,,they rebelled trying to get then in the boot or the car,bet there sulking now :tongue2:
i did fleese them though

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 17:35 »
Thanks for the replies. I have some 12 inch pots which I will use, but I don't know what cucumbers are like to grow. This is the first time I've tried them, so fingers crossed :)

As long as you remember that cukes don't like wet stems, cold, alternate heat and cold, wind, people who wear the "wrong" coloured clothes, people whose forum usernames begin with "J", and any other thing they can dream up as an excuse to die, you will be well prepared!  :lol:

Joking aside, I have had more successes than failures with cukes, although I know of no other plant which will string you along for longer thinking you have finally got it right this time.........and then wilt and die overnight! :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 17:36 »
You might want to take up praying to the cucumber god too. My last one shrivelled up and died last night. It's been cossetted from day one. All it's brothers and sisters died one by one and I really thought the sole survivor might make it. Had lots of little mini cukes on their way too. But oh no, I must have looked at it funny or something. So now it's on the compost heap.

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 17:58 »
hmmmm ill keep you informed,,,,,i do have a backup,,,,,well 10 actually lol

jmc1949

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 18:22 »
I haven't cossetted my cukes at all. In fact, I think I've done everything wrong. Never having grown cukes before I sowed 3 seeds in a 3 inch pot and put them in an unheated greenhouse on 21 March. Up came all 3 so then transplanted them into single 3 inch pots. Then I read comments on the forum.  People still hadn't sown them and that they needed warmth etc, so then brought them into the kitchen. Last week they went back into the unheated greenhouse.

So far they have survived all my mishandling and now have their true leaves.
Perhaps I should sow some more as back ups just in case, when I put them in 12 inch pots, they wilt and die on me.

m1ckz

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 18:29 »
well done so far,,,dont turn ur back on them  he heeeee   but GL

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 22:32 »
There's a saying that I think I heard first on this forum. Tomatoes want to live, cucumbers want to die.

That's right, I had 6 market more doing well, they all died, but the 3 Spacemaster are still looking strong!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 00:02 »
I've never had any problems with cucumbers (touch wood). Mind you, I've mostly grown the outdoor sort, but they've always managed to survive and give me a good crop without any mollycoddling at all. I'm doing some indoor ones in my tunnel again this year, so fingers crossed they're as easy.

bigben

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 14:10 »
After reading all the warnings about them I sowed 12 - so far they all came up and I potted them on last night. They are still to go outside yet so I am sure I will lose some then. I plan on putting them in the greenhouse this weekend and then starting to harden them off a couple of weeks after.

jmc1949

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 18:29 »
Thanks for all the comments.
Well, I've done it. Transplanted my 3 cukes into 12 inch pots. They're still in the greenhouse though. Finger crossed they don't sulk and die on me.

smiley
Outdoor Cucumbers Pots v Growbags

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2019, 11:50
by Kenilworth
clip
NEW TO GROWING CUCUMBERS

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 07:39
by cadalot
xx
growing cucumbers

Started by jessicajake on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:37
by Kristen
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 38 queries.