Carrot problems

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Carrot problems
« on: May 15, 2012, 23:20 »
I sowed several rows of assorted carrots in March and as most came up then disappeared I blamed slugs and did the hunt and blue pellet routine religously before sowing again.
The remaining seedlings haven't grown hardly and the new seed hasn't even come up after 7 weeks.
We've had loads of rain and temperatures have been dismal. Could they still germinate?
Do carrots need a bit of heat? Or should I sow again in another bed?
I think it's strange that I haven't seen any new seedlings......I checked every day and would know if slugs had got them again.
No carrots boo hoo :(

Paul Plots

Re: Carrot problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:36 »
I've had similar problems in the past. I think the trick is not to sow too deeply, be prepared for slug attack before they germinate and to be patient.

7 weeks is a very long time to still be waiting though.

I think I'd sow again in a new space if you can. If they all come up at least you'll have lots of small, tender carrots as well as loads to leave to grow on.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:52 »
 Try covering the seeds with some sand instead of soil, as well as allowing you to see clearly where they are planted, it is easy for the seedlings to push through.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50 »
same problem here,and i covered mine in sand,,never had this befoe,,oh well ill go get another packet   gl

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:03 »
last year my carrots were a disaster. They came up late, sparse, and most didn't survive.

My soil is a very heavy clay, which turns into a rock hard layer after it has rained and it is sunny for a day or two.

Seeds will fall between the clay and have a hard time finding their way up. I can't get the clay fine enough to make counter this.

This year I put a shallow row of cheap compost on my bed and put the carrot seedlings in that. For the first time ever I can actually even see them coming up, instead of wondering if it is a carrot seedling or a weed (usually it was weed).

And I also switched varieties. I am doing Paris Market this year, the short round ones. I have to adapt to local conditions, and this year is dedicated to testing out how to grow stuff better on my local patch.

So I prematurely conclude that sowing in a layer of sand of compost could be beneficial.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:07 »
The 'compost in the drill before sowing' is the only way I could get carrots to grow for a couple of years as the soil at the plot is heavy clay, and it was difficult to keep them from being buried too deep.

Now that the soil is better it makes life easier.

I have covered them with enviromesh right from sowing this year, which has saved that hard pan of soil forming over the top of the germinating seedlings as the rain soaks it and the wind dries it over and over again.

Not too late to sow some more though vietta  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Carrot problems?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 12:40
by Sadgit
sad
Carrot & Parsnip Problems

Started by Alfies Dad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 16:02
by Goosegirl
xx
carrot/beetroot problems

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2016, 10:40
by andyf75
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador

Page created in 1.214 seconds with 36 queries.