Plants dying

• 14 Replies

montygti

Plants dying
« on: May 15, 2012, 20:49 »
This is my first attempt since getting my allotment. Ive planted some seeds and bought one of those ittle greenhouses from wilkos. First the runners and marrows got eaten by blooming snails, then the sweetcorn grew and then just died and now the tomatoes are doing the same. They seem to rot where they meet the compost. I know im doing something wrong but what. Is the compost just too damp or am i over watering it. Is there somethng i can mix with the compost so it doesnt go so damp. At this rate im going to have nothing to plant out when the weather improves. Help 

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Plants dying
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 20:56 »
I suspect you're doing nothing other than that which many of us did. You thought warm weather was with us and the cold is killing off your plants
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 20:58 by AlaninCarlisle »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 21:29 »
Where are you growing them?

If they are rotting off at the point they meet the compost, that does sound rather like damping off disease - a fungal disease caused by compost which is too wet, as a general rule.

Water the compost before you sow the seeds.  Then don't water again unless it's really quite dry.

Also, if they are too cold then the risk of damping off is greater, plus some plants won't grow if it's too cold anyway.

It's too early to be putting runners / tomatoes / sweetcorn in the little poly greenhouse.  They should be indoors where the minimum temperature is over 10 degrees both day and night.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 21:43 »
I second Yorkie on the damping off problem. Overwatering and cool temps are murder on young plants, literally. And if you do any watering, water from below. This helps avoid much of the damping off problem, just don't flood them and/or leave them soaking for long periods.

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 22:43 »
I agree with all the above comments regarding cold and excess watering however I have
had some success by adding a layer of either vermiculite or purlite onto the compost in trays or pots. In the good old days I would have used cheshunt compound when watering but it is now unavailable, banned I believe.
Retired but never short of a job.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:38 »
I agree with all the above comments regarding cold and excess watering however I have
had some success by adding a layer of either vermiculite or purlite onto the compost in trays or pots. In the good old days I would have used cheshunt compound when watering but it is now unavailable, banned I believe.

Soon compost and getting soil under the fingers will be banned too as this rate.  :blink:  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:03 »
Picking up from the vermiculite idea, I put a thin layer over the compost before sowing small seeds

soak well from standing the pot of modules in water, leave to drain, sow seeds and then ruflle the vermiculaite about slightly, before patting it down gently.

Sounds a faff but it has helped with very tiny seeds for me this year, and those that sometimes rot off too like aubergines
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:30 »
Picking up from the vermiculite idea, I put a thin layer over the compost before sowing small seeds

soak well from standing the pot of modules in water, leave to drain, sow seeds and then ruflle the vermiculaite about slightly, before patting it down gently.

Sounds a faff but it has helped with very tiny seeds for me this year, and those that sometimes rot off too like aubergines

Don't you find the vermiculaite sticks to what ever you pat it down with?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 15:48 »
I am loosing my basil seedlings one by one to damping off; sunny windowsills huh  >:(

Has anyone seen the sun today? 

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 15:56 »
i've got basil in with my tomato plants, and whilst they are ok, the basil is all dying off.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 18:09 »
It is sunny here but still too cold for plants like basil. Mine is indoors.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 18:25 »
Hi Argyllie, mine are in the living room on a supposedly sunny windowsill with silver foil and the works; but still damping off.

Maybe I should get the propagator out and give them some warmth. But then with no sun they will probably do the lanky thing  :(

I am glad that you have seen some sunshine, it has barely got light here.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 14:11 »
i've got basil in with my tomato plants, and whilst they are ok, the basil is all dying off.

Difficult but I'd stop watering them, ventilate well or/and consider a chemical to stop the fungus (?) that is responsible for the "damping off"

And... I'd probably sow some more seeds indoors as a safety net in case all else fails.  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 14:30 »

No, I use my dry fingers, knuckles down  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 14:31 »

No, I use my dry fingers, knuckles down  :lol:

Adds a bit of "punch" I guess.  :lol:

xx
Pea plants are dying !??!

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 19:53
by Thamesmeadhammer
xx
dying rasperry plants! Help please?

Started by Touché Turtle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 14:50
by Touché Turtle
xx
Potato plants dying....

Started by upnorth on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 19:49
by upnorth
xx
Help - why are my tomato plants dying

Started by dawninspain on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 07:51
by Philip

Page created in 1.499 seconds with 36 queries.