treat scaley leg

• 13 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
treat scaley leg
« on: May 15, 2012, 16:56 »
I think my broody, who is being a  great mum to her one chick, has scaley leg as her legs are lumpy looking although she does not seem sore. I am going to spray but wonder if ok while the chick is still so young (2 and half weeks) and in such close contact. They are still in  broody house together and not out with the others unless I am there to keep an eye. I know I also need to clean out the coop. Can that wait until they move on or should I get them somewhere temporarily  and do it immediately?

ehs284

Re: treat scaley leg
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:46 »
What are you going to spray?
Suggest just treating her legs with vaseline or cooking oil and leaving in the place they know is safe and secure.
You'll need to treat all the birds and continue until no signs so, depending on how many you have, it could be pretty disruptive

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05 »
Is it ok to use vaseline on feathery legs? She has been in her own broody coop for 5 weeks first sitting and now mothering. I have another silkie (type) in another broody coop and one other lonely girl hybrid wandering around on her own. I was thinking of using ' Barrier' spray which is the only one I can see in my local scats.
Thank you

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09 »
You can also use a topical "spot on" flea/mite treatment for kittens.

Just remember that the legs will stay bumpy until the raised scales have shed and have regrown.  Please don't be tempted to peel them off, as this will make your hen very sore.

:)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03 »
It may not be scaly leg Jo57.  Both of my broody hens had pressure sores on the back of their legs.  They were dry and crusty so I smothered their legs with vaseline every couple of days.  The scabs fell off after a while and the legs were sore underneath so I continued with the vaseline.  They are fine now and I am just going to use the vaseline occasionally to keep them in good condition.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 16:24 »
Thank you. I will try the vaseline although not sure how it will affect her feathery legs.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 17:40 »
I have just bought some vaseline and will apply soon unless anyone advises against. I am slightly unsure of the feathery legs and how it will affect the chick snuggling under her. Will it matter if little Georgie gets vaseline all over him/her self?

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 20:07 »
If you apply it liberally and then wipe the excess off with some kitchen roll you should be alright.   :)

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 20:49 »
Phew! Well I tried and  managed as liberally as I could with one very cross Minnie squawking and struggling. No chance of wiping off any excess though. At one point a robin came and sat on a branch a couple of feet from my head interested in what was going on! Her legs felt very lumpy though but she has never been easy to hold so have not really got a clue as to 'normal' Off I go to look at pics to compare. She'll have a coating of wood shavings in the morning!

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 21:01 »
My 2 bantams are not used to being handled either as they were from a farm.  Shortly after I got them they went broody so I put them both on fertile eggs so they are by no means tame.  I found it easier to catch them as they defend their chicks.  I wrap a tea towel round them and place them on my knee on their sides.  This way it is easier to have their feet exposed and they are calmer wrapped up with less flapping.  If you do it away from the sound of the chicks calling for mum this also helps to keep them calm.  I hope this helps for your next vaseline session.   :lol:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:00 »
Yes thanks. I had thought it would be better to stay close to chick so she was less alarmed but it makes sense to be away. And me sitting with tea towel too.......not standing by coop trying to get vaseline out of pocket and onto legs with a cheeky robin looking on with amusement! ???
How often should I do it? She doesn't look the mess I expected this morning and the chick only a tiny bit punk!

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48 »
I did mine every 3 days to start with and then when the scabs fell off just check that there are no raw patches which can get infected.  You may need some purple spray for them depending what condition they are in.  The vaseline mainly softens the dry skin and the hen will probably peck it off as it loosens.  Don't be tempted to pull it off.  ;)

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 16:51 »
and the mites are got rid of too swamped in vaseline?

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 21:00 »
Mine didn't have mites, they were the equivalent to bed sores with sitting on the nest for so long.  It is meant to be common.  If it is scaley leg mites the treatment will be the same but for longer and I believe that it does smother them.  The scales will not improve until the hen has gone through the next moult if I remember rightly what I have read.  But if it comes off in a week or so as dry scabs it is pressure sores. 

xx
Scaley leg

Started by Marrianne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 03:46
by Tony H
xx
scaley leg

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 15:11
by Madrat
xx
Scaley Leg!!!

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 11:47
by hillfooter
question
Scaley Leg

Started by Bev on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 15:14
by Bev

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 37 queries.