Silly question time!

• 4 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Silly question time!
« on: May 15, 2012, 15:08 »
Hi, I planted some runner beans in toilet rolls last week . I've just noticed that a single shoot coming from the bottom of a couple of the rolls. Are these the plants going the wrong way? Should I turn over the rolls?
As I'm on here I might as well ask another question. I put some celery seedlings in a cold frame and some of these have gone white around the edge of the leaves and shriveled a little. I take it is because they are either too dry or too hot. Which one please. I made the cold frame out of polycarbonate so may be it is too hot?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Silly question time!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 15:15 »
Ref the beans: It is likely to be the root which grows first from the seed so you can leave these be.  Ref celery, Not 100% sure but I wondered if this was actually the cold?  What are your night-time temperatures currently?
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 15:39 »
It is the root - a plant knows which way to grow!

I think the white around the edges of the celery is more likely to be from being too hot, rather than too cold, when the sun comes out a "cold" frame or greenhouse gets very hot, unless it's ventilated.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 15:43 »
Runner bean shoots sometimes take the wrong turning in the confines of a toilet roll tube in their hurry to get to the light (I've had them bursting out of the sides as well as near the bottom of similarly-sized paper pots!) You might find them a bit tricky to plant out but they'll probably sort themselves out.

Long time since I grew celery, but I believe they don't like cold or too much heat!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 15:58 »
Thank you for your quick replies. Yes, I  guess a plant will know where "up " is. :) As for the coldframe, the temperatures haven't been that cold at night so I guess it's the heat. I will now ventilate if the sun should happen to come out! :)

xx
silly question time

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 23:48
by frazzy
xx
silly question time again!

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 13:59
by gillie
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Silly pea question???

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 13:59
by arh

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 37 queries.