Letting a broody hen be?

• 5 Replies

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
Letting a broody hen be?
« on: May 14, 2012, 14:23 »
I've been keeping a few chickens for a year now (have two ISA Warren's left) and was recently given a Frizzle bantam. She went through a brutal period sorting out the pecking order, made worse as she's so much smaller than the others, but they'd settled down quite well. Although she's so beyond cute, she's clearly the dimmest lightbulb in that particular chandelier  :wacko:

Well, now PomPom has gone broody; she's pulled out her breast feathers, she won't leave the nesting box, she pinches the other girls' eggs and doesn't lay any of her own, and she makes a noise like a pterydactyl out of The Lost World whenever I go near her. I shush her out each morning when I feed them and check for eggs so I know she's getting some food. As I'm getting all the eggs I need from the other two girls, is there any problem with leaving PomPom to be broody until it passes, it isn't doing her any harm is it?
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

PaulineM

Re: Letting a broody hen be?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 14:33 »
Hi

Its probably a personal preference thing but I personally break the broody phase if I can.
I use an upturned pet carrier, upturned so that the wire lid is now the floor and if I do this at the first sign of broodiness the phase is usually over about 5 days later.

One of my bantams sat for 9 weeks last year on No eggs  :(

A broody can lose a lot of weight and condition over a broody phase and also they are more prone to lice and mite attack when they are sitting. It is also a nuisance lifting them out and making sure they have enough food and water when they sitting and also watching for them stealing the other girls eggs (Bless them)  :)

Good luck in whatever you decide  :)

1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 14:35 »
Forgot to add I find egg production from my other girls can go down when one hen is broody  :)

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 15:22 »
is there any problem with leaving PomPom to be broody until it passes, it isn't doing her any harm is it?

Actually it can be very harmful.

Without eggs, a broody can sit for up to 6 weeks, during which time her food intake decreases to approximately 1/3 of normal.  This leads to significant weight loss and loss of muscle tone.  During this period a brrody hen is much more susceptible to infestation from lice and mites, is more prone to respiratory infections and can even lose enough muscle tone to prevent walking.

Conversely it is quite easy to break a broody by putting her in a wire bottomed cage for a few days (might take up to a week) with food and water.  The draught around her nether regions will help to bring her temperatre down and break the hormonal change.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind... and putting her in a cage for a few days isn't going to harm her :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 21:45 »
I agree that it not adviseable to leave a broody without hatching eggs.  As said their health can suffer so best to break the habit or give her some fertile eggs to sit on.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 14:02 »
Thanks for all your answers. I had been wondering if the other hen's more hostile attitude towards PomPom was a result of her pinching their eggs to brood, but perhaps that's giving them all a bit too much credit.

I think I'll see if I can bring her out of it. I've also heard that they can be brought out of it by colling their "bits" by dipping them in a pail of cool water, has anyone ever tried that?

xx
Letting chickens out of pen

Started by gracie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 07:53
by lucywil
xx
Letting chicks out

Started by Vivian on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 14:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Letting my chickens roam?

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 11:50
by Beano
xx
Letting the Chickens out this morning !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 18:29
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 37 queries.