How to first taste Asparagus.

• 17 Replies

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
How to first taste Asparagus.
« on: May 13, 2012, 19:41 »
We inherited some asparagus on our new plot, & today I harvested the first stalks.  I've never tasted it before.

How should I prepare it for my first ever taste?

I have no knowledge of Asperagus at all, do I chop the heads off?  Do I chop the harder base part of the stalk?  Most importantly, how should I cook it?

I know I could look up various recipes through google, but what I'm looking for is a recommendation for what I should do for my first taste.  Something simple & about the asparagus rather than the dressing/sauce etc.

It's been suggested to me that I just fry it in butter or simply roast it (although even then, how to prepare?)

(Sorry that I can't interact on this question for an hour or two - I'm off to the pub for a club meeting now & will be back for 9.30 & looking for something I can do on my return so that I can try them on the day of harvest)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Toiling through 100sq metres of clay - And I don't actually eat much veg!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: How to first taste Asparagus.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 20:13 »
As far as preparation goes, if you gently bend the stalk, it should snap near the base and that is where the bottom bit goes woody, so discard the bottom. If the "scales" down the stalk seem hard you can gently remove them from the lower end.

You can simply boil in salted water for a few minutes, or steam till tender when you insert a knife, or cook on a griddle pan after smearing in very little oil, or roast in the oven.

Dress with butter, or olive oil, or butter and lemon, or simply sea salt, whatever takes your fancy.

If you are not sure you like it, don't give up as it can be an acquired taste. :)

Don't forget to give it a good rinse as it can be gritty if you don't. :ohmy:

If you don't like it, send it to me! :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 21:09 »
What tosca100 said. ^^^  :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 21:11 »
If you are not sure you like it, don't give up as it can be an acquired taste. :)

They tasted rather like a large green bean to me - nothing unpleasant but I don't get all the hype.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 21:13 »
Quote from: The man with no taste buds

They tasted rather like a large green bean to me - nothing unpleasant but I don't get all the hype.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 21:59 »
Don't be alarmed if your wee smells of asparagus ...   ::) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 22:01 »
OK Thanks.

just got home but hopefully in about an hour I'll try frying in a little oil (not butter?) & add some sea salt.  Just for a few minutes right?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57 »
How about putting a little parmesan on about 4 fingers of asparagus then wrapping in parma ham and then a little more parmesan on top then roast for about 10 mins.... I love asparagus

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42 »
Asparagus is more of a delicate texture thing as well as an alternative flavour IMHO.

The brown bread scenario is lovely, but then so are about five fat spears, steamed, buttered and on their own, or with a little parmesan perhaps...

And it's always welcome as one of the first real green veg of the year too!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:52 »
I'll eat asparagus however it comes as I love it  :)  If you have the oven on for other stuff, roasting it for just 5-10 minutes makes a great ingredient for a warm salad.  Add just a little olive oil to the asparagus to coat it and spread out on a tray.  Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and roast at about 180-200 degrees C.  It should look slightly shrivelled but not charred so keep an eye on it.

Let it cool slightly and put on top of salad leaves.  Parmesan shavings optional, but a dressing of a bit more olive oil and balsamic vinegar is a must  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 09:25 »
Only just read this - hope you enjoyed your first asparagus experience!  How did you prepare it in the end?  I must admit I've never roasted it - I always boil in a little salted water it so I can keep testing with the tip of a sharp knife to see when it's al dente - nothing worse than overcooking it!  Personally I love it just like this and smothered in real butter with a little salt and black pepper.  Especially if it's home grown. 

However, the recipe from New Shoot sounds yummy too, so I may just break the habit of a life time and give roasting a go!  :D

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14 »
I think the biggest benefit of growing asparagus yourself is that you can eat it fresh enough to eat it raw. The sugars start to turn to starch as soon as it's picked, so eating it as soon as you've harvested it means it's still sweet and crisp and completely delicious raw. The stuff in shops has been hanging about too long to eat raw. If any makes it back into my kitchen I like to lightly steam it and then dip into a soft boiled egg (it seems to have a real affinity with egg). Another nice dip for steamed (or raw) asparagus is to mix a little dribble of balsamic vinegar with a tablespoon of mayonnaise. Yum!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:48 »
We rarely get asparagus as it's expensive to buy for a family, but if we do get some, we boil the stems & steam the heads (if you see what I mean!) then crowd round in the kitchen, dipping it into melted butter.  Messy, hence the kitchen, or even the garden....

It's fascinating to see us all eying up the remaining stems, watching each other, all trying to ensure we get our fair share without looking too greedy!
ManicMum

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:32 »
haven't been here for a while, so thought I'd give a belated report back.

Just fried them for a few minutes over a low heat  in Olive Oil & was advised not to let them sit but keep them moving & turning.  First taste didn't impress, but the lingering aftertaste was very impressive & left me wanting more :)

This weekends crop is likely to see some of the ideas above tried, roasting I think.

If I'm going to cook them within hours of picking it does seem a bit of a shame to do other than keeping them simple.  I think ham, parmesan & balsamic might have to wait till I have some that have been up for a day or two :)

Thanks for the responses.

starry

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 20:50 »
love aspargus but when I first cooked it I didnt rinse it enough so it was a bit gritty !! :lol:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

xx
Just had my first ever taste of....

Started by dmg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 29, 2013, 10:11
by chillimummy
xx
celeriac, a taste bomb!

Started by Annen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 19:15
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Have discovered a new taste sensation.....

Started by Sally A on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 13:52
by mushroom
xx
Slow cookers & taste

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 10:56
by Oscar Too

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 38 queries.