Artichoke advise

• 5 Replies

digby

• Experienced Member
Artichoke advise
« on: May 12, 2012, 08:03 »
Hello everyone, 

My hubby came home from work yesterday with a 2 inch high artichoke plant given to him by a colleague.  To the best of my knowledge it is a globe artichoke and has been grown from seed.

Now I'm aware that not all seed artichokes will breed true so fingers crossed on that one but honestly I know nothing else so thought I'd turn to you guys for some advise

I have read that it needs cutting down in autumn, is this right down? How far do I go?

Is there anything else I should be aware of or do I just chuck it in with a load of compost and hope for the best? 

Also as its a permanent plant can it cope with a bit of shade so i can put it in my flower border or does it have to have is place in my veggie patch which gets more sun?

Thank you everyone

D :)

allotmentann

Re: Artichoke advise
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:41 »
Hi Digby, it is my first time growing artichokes too. I did quite a bit of research recently on growing them and this is the information that I found in summary:
Mulch in early spring with well rotted manure (obviously this will be for next year).
Harvest July - September (but not the first year, when you should remove the flower heads). You harvest the heads before they open, it said that once the scales start opening they become inedible. Cut off the main head (King head) first, cutting the stem halfway back at the same time, which will encourage secondary growth.
Allow 4-6 heads per plant and remove unwanted buds from lateral shoots.
Apply liquid feed every two weeks from June to August (it didn't say what!).
Cut back the stems in autumn (as you said) and protect the crown over winter with a thick mulch of bark or straw etc,. Fleece in severe weather but remove cover as soon as possible.
How much of this is actually necessary I am not sure, as plots all over the lottie seem to have globe artichokes growing with little sign of much being done to them (or the rest of the plot!). So I would be quite interested to know from those who have had experience growing them too.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:22 »
I tried them for the first time last year, following the same rules as Allotmentann but I lost all ten in the spring with the crowns rotted.
I am trying again this year except I will try and keep the crowns DRIER during the winter.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 21:13 »
I tried them for the first time last year, following the same rules as Allotmentann but I lost all ten in the spring with the crowns rotted.
I am trying again this year except I will try and keep the crowns DRIER during the winter.

Thank you so much both.

Do you think they've rotted because of all the wet weather we've had cos it would be difficult to protect them from that one.

Better luck this year

Digby

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 21:19 »
You can prop a pane of plastic/polycarbonate over them so that most of the rain runs off ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 22:28 »
I stuck mine in about 3 years ago & let them get on with it, I just tidy them up in spring,they have had a bit of compost around them this year. They have got huge. I will try to harvest some this year to preserve in oil. Got some seeds that I haven't sown yet, might be a bit late now.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
artichoke and oca

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 21:31
by Madame Cholet
xx
Artichoke

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2020, 08:54
by maddave
clip
Artichoke

Started by ade1865 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:52
by ade1865
xx
artichoke

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 30 queries.