pond question - not sure where to post?

• 3 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
pond question - not sure where to post?
« on: May 11, 2012, 15:19 »
Sorry I know this isn't anything to do with allotments, but I'm really having trouble finding my way around the new layout, and couldn't find anywhere else to post my question.
I have bought some barley straw bags, the smallest i could find, which say they treat up to 10 sqm. My pond is barely more than 2 sqm, will this be a problem, should I try to cut it in half or something?
Rachael

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: pond question - not sure where to post?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 15:23 »
Sorry, i have now found where the rest of the forums have gone, mods please feel free to move this to the appropriate one!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 15:52 »
Ponds don't have their own "home" on the forum so I understand (and share!) your confusion (designing or building one would go in "Design and Construction," if it was about fishkeeping it would go in "Pets without Feathers", but assuming this is about controlling algal growth which is not something you normally grow to eat I'll move it to "General Gardening!")  :lol:

While I'm here, I have a goldfish pond, planted with marginal as well as submerged plants, and as often as not there's a huge initial growth of algae in spring when it first warms up and before the plants get into their stride.

I just put up with it and wait for it to clear, so I've not used barley straw, but I would suggest that "up to" 10 sq m means it should be OK for your pond as long as the instructions don't suggest otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 16:45 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 16:02 »
I've used barley straw a bit, and would agree with JayG that one bag would be right for small ponds.

Bear in mind that the straw only works for 4-6 months.

I've made and managed dozens of ponds, and I must say that while some build-up of filamentuous (mermaid's hair) algae has occurred in quite a few of them, once the pond has settled down the problem has subsided - it's all about nutrients getting used up or locked up. So use your barley now but maybe you won't need to replace it, unless you've got a source of nutrients going into the pond...

sav

xx
HELP, pond pump drained my pond

Started by Clarky86 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 08:04
by JayG
xx
My pond

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 20:54
by JayG
xx
A pond for Ben

Started by iggyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 17:34
by iggyboy
clip
A pond

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2024, 09:33
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 29 queries.