Grafted Tom help

• 19 Replies

Totty

Re: Grafted Tom help
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 22:04 »
I would give it a weak general feed such as growmore or similar and put it in the warm at night and sun in day. When it perks right up i would put it in a bigger pot before it goes out. They are gross feeders and if you have a grafted plant the roots will be extra vigarous so you dont want it pot bound as that will defeat the object of having one! :)

mcd

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 10:58 »
If you want a monster plant get it in the biggest deepest pot you can find. had a grafted tom from B+Q last year (forget the name but they were medium-large sized toms) in a 400x400x400 square pot last year and didn't top it till it had 5 trusses set, grew it into the apex of the greenhouse. Probably not a good idea to grow it that high though if it's going to be outside. I found the flavor to be rather dull alongside other varieties I grew. Best description I can think of is comparing a supermarket tom to a homegrown one. Well worth growing as an experiment though. massive croppers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:00 by mcd »

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 13:08 »
If you want a monster plant get it in the biggest deepest pot you can find. had a grafted tom from B+Q last year (forget the name but they were medium-large sized toms) in a 400x400x400 square pot last year and didn't top it till it had 5 trusses set, grew it into the apex of the greenhouse. Probably not a good idea to grow it that high though if it's going to be outside. I found the flavor to be rather dull alongside other varieties I grew. Best description I can think of is comparing a supermarket tom to a homegrown one. Well worth growing as an experiment though. massive croppers.

What do you mean by "topping" - I did just buy the one as was curious more than anything, also got the pepper. I must say its a good decent size & is in a fairly large pot. Just dont want the chap to keel over
New grower here - handle with care!!

mcd

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 13:19 »
i pinch out the growing tip once 4 trusses have set. the plant concentrates on developing fruit and the trusses will keep flowering.

i'm no expert i only started growing a couple of years ago but i have an elderly gentleman (he's 84) that's been giving me tips. if i get my toms to anything close to his i'll be happy.

also grew a grafted chili last year too in slightly smaller pot, tried to overwinter it but i think i might have killed it by overwatering (over eager) when the new growing tips started showing. again big crops. the ones in my local B+Q haven't been watered and look badly abused, but i'd hapilly grow the chilli again.

you'll be well happy with both i'd say.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 13:35 by mcd »

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 17:26 »
Brilliant, thanks for the info I'll keep you posted on how it goes  :D

xx
Grafted tom's (DIY).

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 16:29
by mumofstig
xx
Grafted tomatoes

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 20:40
by lightyears
xx
Grafted aubergines

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 19, 2020, 22:48
by Fishplate42
xx
Grafted Plants

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 10:00
by Markw

Page created in 0.742 seconds with 36 queries.