Sparrowhawk

• 5 Replies

splash101

Sparrowhawk
« on: May 10, 2012, 16:53 »
We've just been visited by a sparrowhawk. I've only seen it about 4-5 times in the last ten years.
It made off with a sparrow (thankfully and not one of my precious chicks). It didnt stop me racing down the garden though.
I bet the neighbours think "eh up, she's off again"

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Sparrowhawk
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 21:34 »
I have found that crows, ravens and even seagulls have been taking an interest in our garden since our chicks have been out.  They are in a covered run most of the time and let out in the garden when I am on guard.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 22:01 »
Yes, we had a crow in the garden too, never had one in 14 years (they nest close by and wake the neighborhood up at 3:45am). Luckily the early warning system went off (all 5 of them squawking) and the chicks took cover in the hedges. We get alot of wood pigeons but they have always been harmless and very wary of the chickens, they only want the food.
I dont know if im noticing it more because of the chicks but the times i've shot down the garden this week, Usain Bolt has nothing on me lol

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 22:15 »
Better than going to the gym!  :lol:

It is your mothering instincts coming out.  When you think of the miracle of them hatching and surviving you don't want them to be a free meal for a scavenger.  Both of my broodies do battle if they get too close to each others chicks so they would probably see off a crow but not a master hunter like a sparrowhawk.   :(

splash101

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 22:41 »
i know if one gets taken it's bound to be the female one and i'll be left with the cockerel.

i let the other chickens out today to test the waters. they didnt go near the chicks at all but one went near the broody and got pecked quite severly by another hen. the broody was top hen but since she has been away it looks like the pecking order in the other 4 has been adjusted. Then they just wanted the chick crumb, they were back in 10 minutes later. i think i need to build the time up gradually

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 15:37 »
Just been in the garden to chase the heron.   >:(

Then a sparrowhawk flew overhead with a small bird in its talons.   :ohmy:  Glad my chicks are safe in their runs.   :)

xx
Sparrowhawk

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 15:18
by New shoot
xx
Sparrowhawk

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

21 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 15:56
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 36 queries.