Newby with 2 New Mums & 5 chicks!

• 3 Replies

StephRF

Newby with 2 New Mums & 5 chicks!
« on: May 09, 2012, 22:43 »
My 2 buff orpingtons recently went broody so i set 3 cream legbars and 3 light sussex fertilised eggs under each hen, 12 eggs in total purchased from the same person and they arrived by post.  To my delight there was lots of cheaping to greet us yesterday morning  :D.  It soon became apparent that all of the cream legbars had hatched but none of the light sussex  :(.  One hen had left her 3 remaining eggs and they were stone cold, the other hen was still sitting.  I moved the 3 eggs under the other hen hoping they may still hatch under her but she also left the nest today and the eggs were left to go cold.  There was no peeping so I have now disposed of them.  One had a fully formed and feathered chick inside but I couldn't bring myself to crack open any of the other eggs.  Any ideas what may have gone wrong??  We also lost another chick this morning underneath one of the hens, perhaps she smothered in during the night.  We have 5 left and they all look healthy and are eating well.  The 2 broodies are seperated from each other and from my other 4 girls.  I would appreciate your advice - when can Mum & chicks be allowed to go outside?  When can I put the 2 Mums and 5 chicks together? and when should I let them all back into the main run with the other girls?? 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Newby with 2 New Mums & 5 chicks!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 14:12 »
Hi Steph you might have been better putting 6 cream legbar under one broody and the 6 light sussex under the other.  It could be just late development and the broody would want to look after the hatched chicks.

If you have a covered run attached to your broody coop mum will take thie chicks out when she is ready.  You might find that the 2 mums will fight as they will defend their own chicks so you will have to test the water on that one.  Letting them in the main run with the other hens would have to be under supervision just to see how they all react.

More experienced members will probably give you more advice on introducing mum and chicks to the rest of your hens.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

StephRF

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 18:38 »
Thanks ANHBUC, I thought (with hindsight) that I probably should not have seperated the eggs but we live and learn!  I tried to keep the 2 girls seperated but whilst I was extending their outside run they got in together then the chicks got muddled!! It was fun and games trying to keep them apart and they seemed to want to be together so as I was working in the run I left them alone keeping a close eye on them and lo and behold they are getting on fine all together!  The 2 mums don't seem bothered who is looking after who, and the chicks don't seem to care who they can burrow underneath for warmth or security!!  Its really cute to see when they are resting or at night as the 2 mums huddle down together then the chicks just squeeze in somewhere!  Its a great experience and I can't wait to do it again! :))

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:42 »
That is good news. 

My 2 broodys are sisters and are not tollerating each others chicks or each other at the moment.  I am hoping this will improve as I would like them all together which makes things easier.  I am going to try to integrate the chicks without the Mums when I get time.  Then they might relax and stop fighting when I let them freerange.  One lot are 5 weeks old tomorrow and the others just gone 4 weeks so hopefully they won't need their Mums for much longer.  That is if the weather improves!   ::) :lol:

xx
New mums

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 18:15
by jennie hennie
xx
Both mums molting?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 18:30
by chloe
xx
newby...some questions...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 08:57
by poultrygeist
xx
Newby Chicken/Duck

Started by Dagi on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:48
by joyfull

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 36 queries.