Increasing calcium intake

• 7 Replies

SocksOn

Increasing calcium intake
« on: May 09, 2012, 21:29 »
We took our hen to the vets today as she's been laying broken eggs, vet checked her and said that she was perfectly healthy except for the soft eggs and recommended Nutrobal supplement - my partner couldnt find it in the shops as was looking in the wrong aisle - turns out its for reptiles -

will it be ok for our hen?
or are there other supplements out there, as she wont eat the oyster shell or the shells from previous eggs?

thank you for advice

splash101

Re: Increasing calcium intake
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 23:02 »
i've just looked on that well known auction site and its on there and is suitable for birds too.

He probably recomended it as he is more used to dealing with reptile pets than chickens (unless he is a chicken vet)

We used to keep aviary birds and some of the supplements they had were also suitable for reptiles, small mammals

The calcium supplement we used to use for the birds was calcivet. that comes in either a powder form or a liquid form that can be added to water or fruit pieces (we used to add it to the water as if they didnt eat the fruit it was a waste of time putting it on, at least we knew they had to drink the water)

Someone with more chicken expereince may have better chicken alternatives.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 23:09 »
The oyster shell labelled "Ostrea" is very good for hens and they will eat it. You leave it available for them at all times in a separate pot (with a drain hole in the bottom)  They will eat it readily, just give them time

I always grew greens for mine and one of the best is cima di rapa, which is a broc type turnipy thing  :)

If your vet recommended the supplement it must be ok  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 23:13 »
In severe cases you can increase their calcium by giving hens a pinch of limestone flour on a grape or similar - and again this is found usually in the reptile section (for turtles and tortoises etc. as they need it for their shells).
Staffies are softer than you think.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 23:17 »
I use Davinova C and it has made a huge difference to my hens.  I had previously put out both crushed eggshells and oyster shell but they barely touched it.  

You just add Davinova to their drinking water.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14 »
Both Nutrobal and Calcivet are basically calcium as in calcium chloride (which easily dissolves)/limestone flour/chalk /etc (not liquid calcium - which doesn't exist) plus Vitamin D3.  Davinova C I'm not sure about.
The key is in the vitamin because calcium is hard to absorb and vitamin D is the regulator. This is why children deficient in vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin) develop rickets even with a calcium rich diet and chooks with lots of grit around can have soft shelled eggs.
Both products are used for small birds and safe if expensive for a lot of chooks.
You can buy calcium chloride cheaply on ebay (http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/140492287249?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla)  at a much cheaper price and get vitamin D from the same or local shops and mix your own. If unsure, you can get human tablets for example  (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Calcium-200mg-Vitamin-D3-90-Tablets-UK-100-/150612247781?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item23113084e5#ht_2763wt_1390) and crush/dissolve. Again cheaper than small pet medications.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:28 »
Limestone flour is also available at equine suppliers albeit in probably larger quantities :) cod liver oil may also help in small quantities. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:03 »
The layers pellets have oil added but a drop per bird once a week won't hurt.  I used to sneak it into their porridge

I used limestone flour but it didn't help with the soft egg issue unfortunately

xx
Increasing the duck flock - would apprecate advice

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 13:30
by Kate and her Ducks
question
Calcium

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 23:58
by ehs284
xx
Extra calcium

Started by treecol on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 07:22
by treecol
question
How much calcium in water?

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 13:46
by Hensington

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 39 queries.