Hen House Ordered After Research

• 21 Replies

Prod

Re: Hen House Ordered After Research
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 19:05 »
My coop has a plastic fllor and onduline roof and all the timber is T&G FSC  British made.  Before I got my hens I doused it twice inside and out with Poultry shield which I still use weekly along with diatom.  So far I have had no problems  but it is still possibly a bit cold and early for red mite.  You could use Jeyes Fluid to clean as well. :)

Blobbs

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 20:44 »
Brilliant!! Thankyou.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 21:08 »
use any ronseal or cuprinol that is bat friendly. Please do not use creosote - why take the risk of letting your chickens inhale a carcinogenic substance (remember they will be shut in there over night breathing in the fumes - and the fumes do stick around for months).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:17 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Blobbs

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 22:41 »
Ok.understood, thank you.Will use that.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 13:32 »
hi jacking your post really as noone responds to mine :-(

we have only 3 hens but would like to get more, but need to build/buy a new co op, the one you have ordered looks great! Did you say you have an automatic door closer? what a great idea. we are forunate to have 0.5 acre of land which the chooks rome around in the day, we have a covered shelter area just if we are away so that if they are not let out they have a safe place to wander (when we are away) but with that system, could we use it to open and close the door?

Your coop looks great and you have put lots of research in, more than we did, our neighbours just turned up with a hen and a cockerel for our 6 year old son!!!! so have to quickly build something. Im going to design our new one on this type of thing. am i right to assume, that the pull out tray is the floor of the coop, so anything you filled the base of the coop (we use straw???) would be in there too?

Many thanks and hope you dont mind the hijack!

T

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 16:46 »

am i right to assume, that the pull out tray is the floor of the coop, so anything you filled the base of the coop (we use straw???) would be in there too?

T

My house has a pull out tray.  It is the entire floor of the coop, it is a shet of galv steel that is just smaller than the house, set in some 1x1 with some bars on the underside to support my heavy ladies if they stand on the floor.

I've only had my girls a week and I'm currently lining with a few sheets of newspaper.  Not had any pecking or disturbing of it yet, so for me, I'm just sliding it out, taking out the paper, replacing it.  Then once a week I'll give it a clean with some detergent and let it dry before popping it back in.

It's excellent

Blobbs

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 22:05 »
Autodoor is byChuxaway. We've gone for the SC version plus the steel door. The reasoning is that the SC  is more waterproof plus the steel door is lighter so less strain on the mechanism.
Re the henhouse . The floor is the sort that you pull out but not stainless steel. OH is going to line it with ss or rigid plastic. Then I will prob try wood shavings on it.

xx
Just ordered my 1st hen house!!! Now what!!??

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 18:59
by bantam novice
xx
Bodger's Calendars in aid of Leukaemia Research

Started by DD. on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 10:54
by DD.
xx
WORMING: myths, facts & research please

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 01:12
by Lindeggs
xx
ordered 10 more !!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 16:48
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 37 queries.