Hen House Ordered After Research

• 21 Replies

Blobbs

Hen House Ordered After Research
« on: May 09, 2012, 19:51 »
After weeks of research and learning so much from this forum I have finally made my decision and thought I'd share the details. I've come to realise that a lot of the " pretty" houses are in fact imports from the Far East made from Fir wood which is not suited for our climate and  they soon rot and leak. This lead me to understand that I had to be certain I bought a product made in the UK from British wood. Roofing felt is a no no too]as it harbours red mite. So I'm going for Onduline but it's more expensive.  Also some external nest boxes are poorly designed and leak.
I've been fortunate to find a small manufacturer calles Littleacre who is local to where I live but they do distribute their products to outlets. I went and looked at the houses and they tick all the boxes.  The quality looks good and the man understood where I was coming from with every question I asked. He's been in business for over 20 years so I'm happy that he knows his job. I've ordered a Stafford Layer for 6 hens.
OH layed a concrete slab for it yesterday and the idea is to fence off a big area , divide it into 4 then the girle will get  fresh ground every week.
I'm really excited now as this project is finally coming together.

PaulineM

Re: Hen House Ordered After Research
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 21:04 »
Well done! You have done your homework well   :lol:
You must be sooo excited. What hens have you decided to go for and when will they be arriving?  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Blobbs

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 22:02 »
Thankyou!
 The hens are coming from a farmer friend who is having 26,000!! They are hybrids. I will have 3 red and 3 whites which lay brown eggs. They are being deilivered to him on the 23rd May but I can have them when I'm ready.They are "free Range" but will come from the same shed.
We are looking forward to our new hens so much, especially after so much ground work.

I really need to get this right this time after Mr Fox devastated our little flock a few years ago.
I will update soon for  anyone interested.

Blobbs

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 22:38 »
Comments really welcome !!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 22:49 »
is this like the one you are getting?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pixiewish

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 23:04 »
I have been looking at the little acre set-ups, they look good from what I can  see on the web.  let me know how you get on  :)

Blobbs

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 07:12 »
Yes, Joyfull, that is the one. I know that you're very knowledgeable so I really hope that you don't think it's awful.  :(  It's not as pretty as some but it will be in a paddock area so I won't have to look at it!

I'm collecting it next week so I will post how we get on.He does deliver but I can save  that cost if I fetch it.  I ordered a Chuxaway SC auto door opener plus metal door last night too. We often go out before dark so I'm frightened they will get eaten otherwise. OH is going to be busy soon!

With all the costs I think I'll have to sell the surplus eggs for about 50p each to get my money back !!! :D

j00les

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:06 »
looks a very nice coop and looks well made to me  :)

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46 »
I like the venting and the onduline, however I do think you may have problems when doing a full clean out with it just having the lifting lid and not a side or rear door that you can open to scrape everything out (however I am only 5 feet tall so reaching into things like that tend to be more difficult - I have been known to fall in my chest freezer to reach down the bottom  ::))

Blobbs

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:29 »
It has a slide out bottom so I should get most of the muck out that way. OH is over 6ft tall so any work needed from above can be done by him!!!!

Someone told me the other day that she used peat on the bottom of her house and only changed it every 8 month. Ughh!! Now I'm not proposing to be that scally but does anyone have an opinion on peat versus shavings? I'm a bit worried about the mess shavings might make when I clean out.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 13:52 »
it sounds like your friend is using a similar method to deep litter in which the shavings/peat etc are added too and built up with the micro organisms breaking everything down. Believe it or not this does work very well.

splash101

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 14:06 »
Mine has a metal slide out bottom tray which make it really quick to empty (as its next to the compost bin)

Dont have the litter too deep in it though as if it is, when you slide it out you will either jam it pulling it out or the litter and poop will fall out the back of the tray and you will have to then get underneath to clear it up. I find it easier to not fill it so much and empty it more regularly. If the bottom of the tray is wood, treat it with a wood preservative when you 1st get it as the droppings will soon eat away at the wood.

The person who told you about changing the litter on the bottom every 8 months is probably using a deep litter system where you only have to clean it out once or twice a year. Thats down to personal choice.

i've only ever uses dust free wood shavings because that is whats readily available and i can compost it. There isnt any mess (unless my daughter is helping)  :nowink: Hopefully someone else can comment on using peat

Blobbs

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 15:25 »
The tray is plywood  I think and OH thinks he will line it with either a metal or plastic sheet. I understand now that my friend was not as disgusting as I thought re the peat!! However I realise that with the design I've chosen it's not for me.Can plywood be dipped like the wood? I could ask the manufacturer do do it for me. If not possible do I use creosote or is there a better product now?

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 15:44 »
no you cannot use creosote as it has been banned for use by individuals (it is carcinogenic) . you can only use it if you have a license.

Blobbs

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 15:58 »
If I could get creosote is it still the best or what should I use instead ?

xx
Just ordered my 1st hen house!!! Now what!!??

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 18:59
by bantam novice
xx
WORMING: myths, facts & research please

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 01:12
by Lindeggs
xx
Bodger's Calendars in aid of Leukaemia Research

Started by DD. on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 10:54
by DD.
xx
ordered 10 more !!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 16:48
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 37 queries.