mixed bantams or all same breed?

• 7 Replies

Pixiewish

mixed bantams or all same breed?
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:36 »
I just wondered whether its best to get a mixture of bantam breeds, or whether its easier to stick to one breed.
I was thinking one orpy banty, one pekin and one wyandotte banty...would this work as a combo?

Thanks

PaulineM

Re: mixed bantams or all same breed?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:11 »
Hi

I suppose its individual choice really.

I have a mixed flock the advantages of this is you can learn who lays which egg.

Personally I would research your breed carefully as I think Bantams are proned to go broody
(not all obviously and not only bantams) there is nothing worse than trying to break a broody and then waiting for them to start laying again. My wyandotte banty is currently having her 4th broody spell this year (we still love her tho)  :)

1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11 »
I have a right old mixture of banty's. Silkie's, wynadotte, pekin, RIR and some silkie x cream legbars, they all get on fine together.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 13:18 »
We have 2 Pekin bantys and 1 Wyandotte banty. I find the Pekins are friendlier than the Wyandotte, she can get quite bolshy, but she's ok though not nasty nasty.
Anne

Pixiewish

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 13:19 »
Thanks. Choice for bantams as opposed to others is a space issue (seems far fairer to get 3 banties than 2 others), and then I have gone for those breeds as from what I have read/been told they are pretty hardy and should be easy to manage (perhaps slightly with the exception of the pekins feathery feet). Our aim is that they will be pets so eggs are a bonus...so I'm thinking broodiness isn't a problem as such, although I don't know if it causes problems if you don't "break" their broodiness other than of course you won't be getting eggs.

Wasn't sure if there were any issues on certain breeds not being compatible with others..

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 18:47 »
Our aim is that they will be pets so eggs are a bonus...so I'm thinking broodiness isn't a problem as such, although I don't know if it causes problems if you don't "break" their broodiness other than of course you won't be getting eggs.

The only issue I can think of is the health of the hen.  When they are broody they eat a lot less so loose weight.  They are prone to getting infested as they are sitting ducks/hens!  ::)  So unless you are going to let them sit on fertile eggs it is best to break the broodiness.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Pixiewish

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 13:24 »
Thanks ANHBUC, I had no idea it could be so detrimental to their health.  I am learning so much and I don't even have chickens yet.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 13:58 »
you are doing it right by asking questions before getting your girls  :). i have an assortment of large fowls, bantams and true bantams plus a few mistakes (mainly Araucana bantam crosses) and they are all fine. Some go broody but not all.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Any advice on mixed breed flocks?

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 08:33
by shiatsusu
xx
mixed breed flock for varied egg colours

Started by emu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 16:28
by emu
xx
Do you know the breed & gender of my bantams please?

Started by ladyloulee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 09:11
by ness
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 29 queries.