Poorly chick, scab on belly & sometimes clicky breathing. Anything I should do?

• 8 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
The last of my chicks has appeared to hatch. It wasnt moving for ages other than breathing and was making a strange clicky sound when doing so. There is also a scab on his/her belly along with a slightly bald patch. Is there anything I should do to help? The others that hatched are all up and about feeding and drinking nicely. I left this one in the incubator about half a day longer than the others.

The only thing I have done so far is patted its belly with a weak salt water solution and also fed it water and pasted chick crumb using a cotton ear bud cleaner. The chick seems strong enough to chirp loudly at times and almost can stand up but often falls over and goes to sleep. Im worried it wont survive as he/she canot eat or drink for themself.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Sorry nuzuki but I think it is best to cull rather than let it suffer.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Thanks for the prompt reply, I did think so. Since feeding it seems to have its head up now rather than down and seems to be alert with eyes open but your right I dont think it will have a very happy life in the state its in. Its a shame as its got the best markings out of the marans that have hatched.

I shall leave the chick 24 more hours to see if it gains walking ability then if not luck and you dont see me asking for advice here then ive probably culled it. Whats the best culling method for chicks this young (48hours old)?

Thanks

splash101

we  also had one last week that didnt do too well, also a maran
It took the best part of 24 hours to hatch and then didnt seem to have any more energy to move and just layed there too.
I didnt notice any clicky sound.
It too made loud chirping sounds but they were more sounds of distress than the normal just hatched chirping.
Eventually it stopped moving except for breathing and we had to cull it.

splash101

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
I just went to check on the chick and it has died. Beak wide open and no movement whatsoever so its in the bin. At least it saved me a heart wrenching task. This is my first hatch so I guess you live and learn.

Thanks for the replies.

Casey76

For future reference, the scabby tummy is from the last of the absorption of yolk.

I've found any chicks which hatch with a wet or very distended tummy don't thrive.  It's almost as if they have hatched a bit too early.

I normally give them 24 hours to perk up but if they haven't rallied, then I cull immediately.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Thanks Casey, now you mention it it did look a little yolkey at first.

For the other chicks that are now about 3days old do I need alot of humidity in the brooder? Its currently 30degrees one end of the brooder and 33degrees C at the other. The humidity is at 70%, they seem happy anyhow.

I was also interested to know how they taught themselves to feed & drink? I was reading before hand that I would have to teach them but one of them started pecking at the chick crumb then the others just copied. It seems nature has a preset program  :D

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Hi nuzuki,
Sorry about your chick  :wub:

Once the chicks have hatched you do not need any humidity. Also you may find it helpful to add some cider apple vinigar to the chicks water. I find it is really helpful, my chicks also do really well on it it helps to regulate the ph balance of the gut. I add 5ml to 1ltr of water.

Also for the first week or so make sure you check their bums, they can sometimes paste up  :blink:

Hope all goes well

xx
poorly chick can anyone help?

Started by massa on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 07:59
by joyfull
xx
poorly chick

Started by madameraz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 10:55
by madameraz
xx
Chick with a poorly leg

Started by Nails on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:23
by Nails
xx
Poorly chick

Started by Jaspertilly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 22:14
by Junie

Page created in 1.007 seconds with 37 queries.