Using raw/unfinished compost

• 2 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Using raw/unfinished compost
« on: May 07, 2012, 21:04 »
I've got a couple of beds that are shortly going to be planted up with tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, cucumbers, melons. They're raised beds that aren't full (with soil) and I was planning to top them up with compost before planting them up. I do have some reasonable compost in my bins I can use, though it may not be quite enough, but would there be any benefit in using unfinished compost or raw kitchen compost, kind of like a bean trench? Rather than a deep trench, I could do a layer with the other compost on top. If lasagne beds can be done this way, giving the plants extra feed, is there any reason it would harm the plants to do a layer this way?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Using raw/unfinished compost
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 21:08 »
I have done this in the past (even before my lasagne bed experience) and see no problem.  As long as it doesn't contain raw manure or similar that is likely to cause issues.

I would recommend you cover it with rotted compost/topsoil though to discourage vermin and plant in this. 

I am sure if I haven't thought of an issue, someone will come along to advise otherwise.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

BabbyAnn

Re: Using raw/unfinished compost
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:00 »
last year I did the exact same thing for tomatoes, aubergines and beans and they all did very well so I'm doing it again this year  :D  My "kitchen waste" has loads of banana skins (and other fruit peelings and cores) plus tea bags as I have a little bin at work where colleagues drop them in

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 36 queries.