Netting seedlings/plants

• 15 Replies

Dora5

• Experienced Member
Netting seedlings/plants
« on: May 07, 2012, 15:03 »
I have spent too much time netting over my brassicas yesterday. I have sown 3 rows of cabbage, 2 of purple sprouting broccoli and 1 (so far of broccoli). When it came to netting, I realised that I had to make 3 separate enclosures and in the end they all ended not being very high and most likely will need to be done again in few weeks time.

I have previously asked for help regarding carrot tunnel and it turned out great with all the help from the forum so I am hoping for the same here.

How do you make your enclosures and what type of netting do you buy? I would love to see the photos as I am quite a visual person.

How high are your enclosures for brassicas?

I need to make some decisions as I need to buy the netting. All that I have are just not big enough...

Thank you in advance... :)

compostqueen

Re: Netting seedlings/plants
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 15:46 »
I use Enviromesh now having built a brassica frame from various lengths of timber and angle irons blah blah.  I placed it in situ with such care and finesse only to turn round to find a fat pheasant trapped under it. How it got there Lord only knows  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 16:24 »

I use garden pond netting, quite a bit more robust than your usual netting.      :ohmy:

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 19:33 »
Thank you all for replies.
I like the idea of making a frame with timber but as my brassicas patch is quite a big one (5 meters by 10 meters), I cannot afford the enviromesh. I have just spent £27 a piece to cover my carrots  :ohmy:. I do not know how the pheasant got under it ;).
I do like Ice's enclosures, mumofstiq, similar to my carrot tunnel a la DD :). However, I would require much more blue piping to cover the many rows in my brassicas patch.

Tony, I have never seen the pond netting before... :)

I have thought about it and I think that my lack of success with the netting is the fact that my nets are too narrow. I have searched the net and found some debris netting that is 3 meters wide, for approx. £35, for 50 meters. I think that it may solve my problem, at least temporarily ;).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 19:38 »
I use debris netting and have made a walk -in tunnel, with cheap garden arches from ebay as a frame.

The legs are braced with metal fencing pins as otherwise they will bend (I did say cheap!)

Gives a modicum of shade, some wind protection, butterfly and pigeon resistant

I swap the debris netting for pond netting in the winter, as debris netting colects too much snow and I am worried that the weight might break the arches. This keep pigeons off.

The tunnel is easy to take apart and move to a new area each year.

Our purple sprouting broccoli is 1.5m tall btw
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 20:10 »
I use debris netting and have made a walk -in tunnel, with cheap garden arches from ebay as a frame.

The legs are braced with metal fencing pins as otherwise they will bend (I did say cheap!)

Gives a modicum of shade, some wind protection, butterfly and pigeon resistant

I swap the debris netting for pond netting in the winter, as debris netting colects too much snow and I am worried that the weight might break the arches. This keep pigeons off.

The tunnel is easy to take apart and move to a new area each year.

Our purple sprouting broccoli is 1.5m tall btw

Sounds good... Have you got a photo of this set up sunshineband? I am glad you have told me about the height of PSB  :ohmy:, I did not anticipate that! What width is your netting for these then and where do you get it from? I'll go off and look at the arches on e-bay :).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 20:14 »
I bought  achaep job lot of debris netting from ebay a while back --- billed as 2 wide but it was 1.85m so very cheap indeed.

Some people have managed to get some from builders' skips but I have never seen any.

I'll dig out a photo when I have eaten my dinner -- doesn't show the whole thing, but you'll get the idea no trouble.

The arches were dead cheap --- I think I got ten for the price of seven, around £21 as I recall. Some of the others are now holding up climbing roses, clematis etc and will have some small squashes up them too this year

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 20:21 »
Thank you sunshineband :). Enjoy your dinner  :).

I was given last week a piece of debris netting by my neighbour but it is not enough :). Otherwise I have been looking and asking for it around building sites for ages with no luck. I'll probably find loads once I purchase it :) as it has been with wooden pallets ;).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 20:24 »
Dora if you have the patience you can stitch debris netting with back stitch using nylon fishing line or stout twine, to creat larger pieces.

Just waiting for the potatoes to crisp up ........

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 20:31 »
I haven't got much patience like that but my mum has ;)... What a great idea! Why haven't I thought of that?

I hope your potatoes are nice and crispy :). I am going to burn my dinner off by taking the dogs ;).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 20:32 »
I haven't got much patience like that but my mum has ;)... What a great idea! Why haven't I thought of that?

I hope your potatoes are nice and crispy :). I am going to burn my dinner off by taking the dogs ;).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yana

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 20:34 »
I got a tip from a fellow allotmenteer and that was to scrounge / recycle a gazebo frame and cover this with debris netting. I've got two  metal frames 2m X 3m and have made covers for them. My OH loved working out how to fit the shaped top of the frame so all I had to do was to sew the netting together. I've added an extra flap on one side so that I don't have to remove all the netting to get inside. Just flip it up.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 23:01 »
Now I have a proper greenhouse the three mini greenhouses I had are redundant so I have taken them apart and kept the framework and joiners so I can build different size frames for nets
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24 »

Sorry Dora it took me longer to find the photo than I thought!

Hope this helps -- the metal fencing pins are hammered into the ground on the inside by each leg, and attached with cable ties.

xx
anyone used this company for netting?

Started by Plottered on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 22:47
by kiwinicks
xx
Debris netting - again...?

Started by Growster... on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 19:30
by Growster...
xx
Ant-bird netting

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 10:35
by arugula
xx
Debris netting

Started by Goosegirl on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:00
by thedadtony

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 38 queries.