Tips for your chick brooder

• 1 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Tips for your chick brooder
« on: May 06, 2012, 15:05 »
Hi guys,
Over the last three years I have become very addicted to hatching eggs - very addicted  :blush:

Thought I would share some of the methods I have found work best whilst the chicks are under heat. I have used newspaper, shavings, sawdust, old tea towels, the anti slip mats - you name it!
All of the above I have found to be very messy and a lot of work. Shavings get everywhere, newspaper is slippy and messy, the anti slip mats are not big enough, tea towels harbour bacteria.
At the moment I have 45 chicks, told you I got carried away  :wub:, I have some outside off heat and currently have 20 indoors on heat. They are split into two large dog crates lined with cardboard to keep out the draughts.
On the floors I purchased 4 rubber foot mats from Tesco, I use them the wrong way up, they are the perfect size and the chicks dont slip. Also they are only £2.50 each. I then put 3 cups of play sand in the middle, no need to spread the chicks do that.
The chicks use it as a dust bath and in doing so spread it around, the sand stops the droppings sticking to the rubber mats, and stop the droppings sticking to and balling up on the chicks feet.
To muck out i empty the sand into a bucket, rinse the mats, I then seive the dirty sand with an old plastic seive, it only takes a few minutes, put the clean sand back into the broody. It does not matter if the mats are a little damp, the sand and heat lamp take care of that.  :D
The chicks are kept occupied playing with the sand, drinkers and feeders stay clean and there is little waste! 8)
Hope you find this helpful  ::)

splash101

Re: Tips for your chick brooder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:54 »
well, after also trying various materials in the brooder i too have started using rubber mats (£1.25 wilkinsons online collect from store) and again they are a perfect size for my requirements.
The sand isnt working for me at the moment because mine are off heat and i found that when the sand got damp is stayed damped and smelly even though they are cleaned out every day. I will try the sand again when i have some hatched and under the heat.
I've got 3 week old quails in it at the moment which are ready to come out, if only it would warm up a bit.
Im using the smallest of sprinkling of wood shavings for absorbancy. They still manage to flick it in the water which is a pain but as i'm using so little its not as bad as it was before and the water gets changed several times a day anyway
Makes it a lot easier to clean out

xx
Brooder size/tips for ducklings please :)

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 17:13
by Mum2mj
xx
How much to run gas brooder

Started by poppies on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:34
by poppies
xx
Why brooder?

Started by Alec Powell on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 20:01
by joyfull
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.