manure

• 5 Replies

davel831

• i dont know evrything!! But can i learn
manure
« on: May 05, 2012, 22:45 »
hi guys and gals,
                            many times we read that before we plant add some good rotten manure to enrich the soil ready for planting.. My question is can we use too much manure in the area we are intending to plant?

is there a limit to how much we should use? and what happens if we use too much?

just a thought

cheers dave   :D :D :D
Dave

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: manure
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 22:50 »
Adding huge amounts can make the soil more acidic, so you would need to add lime to correct it from time to time.
The longer manure is left to compost/rot the less acidic it is, which is why well rotted manure is usually advised to avoid the problem

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 22:52 »
Depends how much you've got Dave!

A good thick layer (4") plonked down on top in the winter does wonders, then dig it in during spring for top crops and spuds but not roots like parsnip or carrots.

So if you have enough, then dig it or spread it, but tell us how much you've got handy!

Lucky you to have some, but make sure it's really well rotted before you use it anyway!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:18 »
To add to growster's post, when the garden is first starting out, it's often short of nutrients and by the time you dig it in or whatever, you've only scratched the nutrient surface so to speak. After many years of heavy manure spreading you'd likely reach a point of too much when you see massive leaves/stalks and smaller veg. but by then you'd be more familiar with how much & how often and would adjust accordingly.

davel831

• i dont know evrything!! But can i learn
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:48 »
thanks for the answers guys and gals,
                                                             i suppose we are lucky at our allotment site as there is a farm stables just around the corner. We just dug up all the old winter veg and dug it over then added a good load of horse manure. This manure was delivered to us in october and has been piled on our site since then..

i know it is all about balance and rotating the crops, so we intend to plant peas and beans in this old spave, i am just abpout to go up and rotavate after we dug yesterday.

cheers for the help

dave  :tongue2:

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 15:31 »
Have a look at this site and any books you have as to what veg plants need lots of manure, i.e. potatoes, beans, peas and brassicas. There is no harm in piling lots of manure on a bed in late autumn and leaving it to rot over winter, as it will improve soil structure enormously. You can also dig it in in spring, or push it apart to sow root crops like carrots and parsnips that won't like it dug in as they will possibly fork their roots.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 38 queries.