Devastated - fox found my hens

• 6 Replies

Julias hens

Devastated - fox found my hens
« on: May 05, 2012, 18:57 »
Last week I was posting about my hens eating the eggs  - but alas that was nothing, have arrived home, feathers everywhere and my buff orpington minus his head and two brown hens gone and a pekin bantam (Leroy) and his hen (Lola) gone.  Feathers in different places and much sadness in my heart.  My sons favourite amongst them!   I am lucky that I have other hens in other pens all safe but this is a serious blow.  :(

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Re: Devastated - fox found my hens
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 19:04 »
I don't know how it must feel, my girls only arrived yesterday and already they're part of the family.  I hope your others remain safe while you get back on your feet

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 19:17 »
Sorry to hear this  :( my biggest fear, sorry for you and your chooks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 19:22 »
Awww Julia, so sorry to hear your news.  Buff Orpingtons are lovely!  What a shame.  :(

I've lost birds before plenty of times over the years, but never to a fox.  Just been lucky I suppose.

Pleased the others are okay though!   :)

Blobbs

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 19:31 »
How awful for you. :( That happened to us a few years ago and it really put me off keeping them. However we have decided to try again and hope to build Ford Knox. How did it get in the pen? Underneath? We are going to fold out the wire and bury it then add  an electric fence. Will it keep the foxes out? I think the worst thing is the wanton destruction rather than just killing to eat.

Julias hens

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 19:45 »
Yes we have been trouble free for 3 years but this has certainly been a wake up call to the dangers and will have to monitor really closely for the next few days :(
I keep thinking I should have taken more steps but there was no warning signs at all .

JMF

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:53 »
So sorry know what you are going through - fox got into our pen and took our little pekin bantam Babs we gave chase and the fox dropped her still alive thank goodness but loss of feathers and bite marks - currently nursing her and keeping fingers crossed that she makes it.   Its electric fence for us as well getting plenty of help from other members as to how to deal with her. 

xx
Devastated by fox attack

Started by Nails on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 23:34
by wolverine
xx
Devastated Chicken Mum would like answers

Started by Nellies on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 23:18
by Brushcutter
xx
Devastated...I've lost my first girl...

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 17:24
by Chuckles
xx
hen found

Started by rhodes128 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 11:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 35 queries.