brassicas and salad leaves going white

• 9 Replies

hubballi

brassicas and salad leaves going white
« on: May 05, 2012, 15:18 »
This is happening again. I sow curly and Italian kales, cabbage, salad, mustard greens and after a good, healthy start the leaves at the tips go very white, shrivel and then the plant withers and dies. I am not over watering or anything and using new compost.

What could this be ?  :(

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: brassicas and salad leaves going white
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 16:06 »
Snap !

I was just going to post the same question!  This will be the 5th batch (4 last year) that starts off with perfect dark green seed leaves and then if the first few true leaves emerge they gradually get lighter over a month or so until they are almost white and then die.  Affects caulis, sprouts and calabrese, different varieties, sown in new seed compost in new or sterilised pots.

Is it lack of light , so should I put seedlings in full sunlight?  (But when I did so last week with batch No 4 they all shrivelled in died in 30 mins of full sun.

or is it lack of nitrogen, so I should sow in something richer?
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 17:29 »
they gradually get lighter over a month or so until they are almost white and then die. 
sown in new seed compost

Seed compost is low nutrient so anything left in it for a month or so without being potted on or fed is likely to starve to death.  Brassicas are also very tough and don't need a lot of heat - good light but not direct sun or cossetting too much  :)

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 17:55 »
Seed compost is low nutrient so anything left in it for a month or so without being potted on or fed is likely to starve to death.

True, but when the plants only have 2 small seed leaves and are still less than 10mm high after a month* then I didn't think they could have used up all the food.  I'll try a bit of low strength phostrogen anyway. Thanks.

* This year and last year

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 18:30 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 18:48 »
I'd agree that seedlings with just seed leaves should not need feeding.  I would normally only feed after they had got a couple of sets of true leaves. I read your post as true leaves going pale and then the plant fading away, didn't realise they never got going in the first place - sorry  :blush:  

Have you lifted one of the seedlings that have been stuck at seed leaf stage for a month to see if they have decent roots?  Just thinking it could be compost too wet and roots rotting away  :unsure:  Maybe some more info about exactly how you grow could help, for example are you growing indoors/under glass, is it just normal plastic pots/peat pots and which compost you are using  :)

kentishgal

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 00:52 »
Seems like lots of people are having problems this year. Its my first attempt at growing salad leaves and lettuce and so far I cant even get to the true leaf stage. I just get very tall seedlings with seed leaves that just stop growing. :(
Ive tried various positions indoors and out, different composts, seed packets, and watering...The only thing I can figure is that they arent getting enough light to develop properly. I mean I can put them where they will get full sun but I cant make the sun shine on them!! ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:22 »
Tall seedlings could be lack of light or too warm.  I'm propagating my hardy stuff (salads, brassicas, chard, leeks ect) in a cold greenhouse and cold frame.  No extra heat and the doors left open to help ventilate during the day.  

It's been overcast here most days but stuff is developing fine  :)  Have you got somewhere outside but sheltered to have another go KG?  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 15:26 »
Is it frost damage?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 15:51 »
About 3 years ago a section of my lawn went completely white.I made enquiries and sorted it with a nitrogen feed.  Prior to this I had been making a toybox and had been sanding down a lot of wood. The wood dust was causing a nitrogen shortage and turning the leaves white.
All compost manufacturers are reducing the peat content, and I too am noticing a poorer germination. They do not say what is in the bag. Mine has 'carefully formulated' and 'added nutirents' But what if they are adding sawdust or other woody items. Once the nutrients are used up there could be a nitrogen deficiency, hence the white leaves??

kentishgal

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 16:10 »
Tall seedlings could be lack of light or too warm.  I'm propagating my hardy stuff (salads, brassicas, chard, leeks ect) in a cold greenhouse and cold frame.  No extra heat and the doors left open to help ventilate during the day.  

It's been overcast here most days but stuff is developing fine  :)  Have you got somewhere outside but sheltered to have another go KG?  :)

Ive got 2 lots planted outside and one lot in front of an open bedroom window!!  Im determined that at least one of the many hundred seedlings that have sprouted over the last couple of months will become a salad!!LOL

xx
Salad leaves going white

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:10
by azubah
xx
Salad leaves

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2020, 18:19
by Snowboar
xx
Cut and come again salad leaves

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 21:30
by compostqueen
xx
salad leaves

Started by jondav on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:34
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 37 queries.