Bottleneck!!

• 23 Replies

Yana

Bottleneck!!
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:10 »
It's raining again today so not able to move hardened off plants to lottie, greenhouse stuff out for hardening ........... And so it goes on. A real bottleneck.
The tomatoes a doing brilliantly in the (cold) greenhouse and they reeeeeeeally need to go into their grow pots but I am still cautious because if I do this and then the nights get cold I could loose them all. Or would I? If they have got this far, is it OK to put them into their final place in the greenhouse now?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bottleneck!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14 »
I wouldn't plant them now, I'm waiting 'til after this cold snap.
Even then the fleece and the polysheet will be at the ready  :blink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 13:02 »
Bottleneck is the perfect description of it  ::)  Not raining here but ground too wet to plant anything out in or walk on.

I've had to move some tomato 'spares' to the greenhouse today as they all needed potting on and the window sills are groaning. I've got them off the ground and have rigged up a fleece tent for them, but they are going to have to take their chances.  They have got flowers on already.

Likewise the beans, sweetcorn and other softies have had plastic seed tray lids or old clear placcy veg and meat trays put over them and I've got a sheet of fleece ready to chuck over them as well later.

Luckily the greenhouse is fairly sheltered but wondering how they will all fare tonight and tomorrow night  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 14:31 »
Indeed, I brought everything back indoors last night, and will again tonight. Looking at tomorrow's forecast they might even stay indoors all day as well  :ohmy:

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 14:40 »
Mine are all doing fine in the cold greenhouse. I checked first thing fearing the worst but they seem perky

Folks are switching heating back on but I don't have any so mine are having to take their chances. I've put the aubs and chillies in a grow house within the cold greenhouse and zipped it up to give them a tad more protection

I've not sown any tender stuff yet but I think I will have to get them done soon as waiting for warm weather is aways off yet I believe

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 16:54 »
Its not half as bad here as they were making out it would be.  Cloudy and light wind, but not the freezing northerly wind they were predicting.  5 degrees overnight tonight and tomorrow, then back up to double figures next week, but still unsettled with plenty of rain around  ::)

Just been out to the greenhouse and its noticably warmer in there than outside so chucked some more fleece around and that will have to do.  I think I would be in for a rebellion from OH if I brought any more veg plants into the house  :lol:

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 19:13 »
I've cleared a bit of space on my windowsills by moving the peas outside, but it's the damn cucumbers which are taking over. I half wish they'd commit suicide.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 20:23 »
 :wacko: Have the same problem with cucumbers - wish the weather would hurry up so I can leave them in the greenhouse.  They go in and out like a yo yo ! :blink:

Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Yana

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 20:55 »
Haven't moved my cue's from in the house yet. They are languishing in a lovely warm and very well lit spot.
Just tucked in the toms and sweet corn in the greenhouse. French and Runners under fleece too

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 22:00 »
My solution: I don't have a lot but I have planted out some frost sensitive vegies. I use half coca cola bottle as mini greenhouse, then cut some plastic bubble wrapping and wrap them using a elastic band when the frost comes. They have survived so far. But not much growth because the temperature (probably a good thing as the little mini green house can accommodate them longer). Just hope they can establish their roots and no side effect with all the stresses caused by cold.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 22:15 »
The trouble is the soil is still quite cold as well, here  :( so I wish you good luck with yours!

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 22:17 »
Mine are all doing fine in the cold greenhouse. I checked first thing fearing the worst but they seem perky

Folks are switching heating back on but I don't have any so mine are having to take their chances. I've put the aubs and chillies in a grow house within the cold greenhouse and zipped it up to give them a tad more protection

I've not sown any tender stuff yet but I think I will have to get them done soon as waiting for warm weather is aways off yet I believe

Same here CQ - slow to get going, but prefering the steady light they're getting, rather than the in/out heat treatment...

The peas love it like that, and so does the celeriac, although that's being hardened off as we speak.

I don't want the toms to get to long yet, they're all going outside (all 90 or so of them), so they've got two choices eventually!

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 22:45 »
It was really cold here last night and very windy. It looked like it was snowing as there was that much blossom blowing off the flowering cherry trees. Cold today too so I didn't linger on the plot

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 22:48 »
It was really cold here last night and very windy. It looked like it was snowing as there was that much blossom blowing off the flowering cherry trees. Cold today too so I didn't linger on the plot

We didn't even get down there today CQ.

Dunno what's happening until tomorrow now, but at least there's no frost forecast - I think...;0)

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 22:52 »
Good as I've forgotten to refleece my tubs of spuds.  I'm getting dizzy  :D   I had earthed some over but they've seemingly grown six inches over night (who'd have thought it in this winter chill) and they're a bit vulnerable so I've been fleecing them at night. Til tonight that is  :nowink:

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 39 queries.