Will Glyphosphate help me?

• 21 Replies

Judd

• Experienced Member
Will Glyphosphate help me?
« on: May 04, 2012, 21:02 »
I've been weeding my plot and planting as I cleared it,it's mostly couchgrass with a smattering of docks and nettles(The spiky ones).
Starting from one side I've now got 9 21ft rows of potatoes in ,onions and some peas.
At the other side I have 3 fruit trees and a row of strawberries and raspberries.

This leaves me with  approx  10 yds x 10 yds full of the aforementioned weeds.It's been taking me roughly 3 hrs to clear an area of 6sq yds.
Quite simply, I don't have the time to carry on doing this.
Would it be okay to use Glyphosphate on the area that's left and in between the trees, if I do so,do I then just turn the area over and plant straight in it after a set amount of time?(Hopefully this year)
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

mattwragg94

Re: Will Glyphosphate help me?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 21:15 »
ok  - glyphosphate needs to be applied to the leafs of the growing weeds (if they are still dorment it wont be as affective), once gyphosphate hits the ground it becomes inactive. so yes you can use it on your plot, just make sure that if you are spraying it that you dont do it on a windy day, then leave the weeds for a few weeks until dead, dig it over and plant. ;)

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 21:19 »
Excellent :D
Any advice on the best type to use?

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 21:21 »
well people either paint it on or spray it on - but if you have a big area to cover i go for spraying ;)

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 21:24 »
Thanks Matt but I meant what brand is the best.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 21:28 »
Well Roundup is the big brand but places like Been and Queued sell their own make with the same active ingredients, just make sure the strengths are the same.  It's also better to apply with a watering can to avoid any unintentional contamination of neighbouring plots.
Cheese makes everything better.

mattwragg94

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 21:32 »
Thanks Matt but I meant what brand is the best.

i think bayers the most popular as you can get it in powdered form, so you can make as much solution/weed killer as you want  - i think you will also get more coverage for your money with powdered form :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 22:35 »
The only difficulty with powdered glyphosate (which I've never heard of anyone using before) will be ensuring complete dilution and even distribution in the water of the watering can.

I always use the liquid concentrate - either roundup if I can get it on special offer, or a non-branded variety otherwise.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 04:57 »
I like Resolva 24. Contains diquat as well as glyphosate.

The diquat knocks them down quickly, (nettles show in less than 24 hours) so it's easy to spot where you missed very quickly. This allows you to respray just those patches only before they regrow.

End result is you end up using less. This year - none at all.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fatcat1955

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 06:44 »
I use wilko's own brand . cheap as chip's and does exactly what it say's on the bottle.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57 »
There's this natty little device if you have very tricky areas in which to kill weeds.;)

Roundup Gel

Personally, I'm not in a hurry to find out how much it costs.  :ohmy:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43 »
I like Resolva as well, but if you have a lot of area to treat, an own brand concentrate liquid  will be the most economical option.  You can get a spray bar attachment to fit on a watering can which will make the solution go a lot further and be quicker to apply. Own brands can take a bit longer to work, so leave the area 6 weeks before cultivating  :)  

The Roundup gel is 'new' - there used to be paint on gel but it came off the market ages ago.  It's going to be a useful product for those trying to get pernicious weeds out of established borders, but as you say Argyllie, not cheap  ;)

Christine

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 08:45 »
Roundup Gel

Personally, I'm not in a hurry to find out how much it costs.  :ohmy:
It costs far too much and is not as good as the now banned Touchweed used to be. Have tried it, don't rate it.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:01 »
I like Resolva 24. Contains diquat as well as glyphosate.

Excellent stuff, works a treat. :)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 16:05 »
Whatever you use to apply the glyphosate make sure it is thoroughly cleaned afterwards or keep a sprayer just for weedkiler. I bought the ready diluted 1litre spray plus a large concentrated pack to refill. That way I know that sprayer is just for weedkiller and has all the application rates printed on the label.

If you were going to water on rather than spray make your own using a large plastic pop bottle. Punch fine holes al around the botle top. Fill with mixture screw lid back on then turn upside down over the area to be treated. You can throw botle away after use or keep for next time.

xx
glyphosphate.....when and how ??

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 12:25
by Snoop
xx
glyphosphate on brambels

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 12:07
by PAULW
xx
DIY dye for glyphosphate spraying.

Started by Little Flower on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 17:17
by Candide

Page created in 0.797 seconds with 37 queries.