My first ever ladies are here and I love them

• 23 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Re: My first ever ladies are here and I love them
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 20:55 »
I actually knocked on my neighbours door and got them to come round when I let the ladies out as hubby was still at work.  How sad is that but I had to have someone to share the moment with!

I get to do it all over again tomorrow when my real life babies arrive home.  They are going to be so excited.  The 2 yo has been telling everyone that the chickens arrive on Sat.  I told her today that Sat was tomorrow.  She nearly burst with excitement!

All 3 are now in bed, I've locked them in for the night.

Oh and first egg I will be photo'ing and posting whether you like it or not.  I think a yummy dippy egg with homemade bread.

They're so soft, I want to hug them and squeeze them and hold them tight!

j00les

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 11:23 »
your girls are looking gorgeous i know how exciting it is i have had mine a month now i love it  and four of mine are laying  :D :D :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 12:04 »
I had my first egg within the hour, photo on here, then in the pan, then on the plate!  :lol: The first few were double yolkers too. Only two are laying every day, the third was laying shelless eggs and then was off colour for a couple of days. Fighting fit now though, but will lay in her own time.

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 14:48 »
Congrats on your new hens. They are lovely, just like my three! Same colours too. Mine are in chooky heaven now though having retired to the great hen house in the sky.

You will go mad to see your first egg  :)  You will have to share it with the kids of course  :D

Always make sure to put them securely away at night. Don't ever forget.  I did, just once, when I was poorly and fox came to call  :(  You are their guardian now so you have to keep your beady eye on them. They are much more trouble than the kids I can tell you  :D

Most of all enjoy them and let them help you with the gardening, which they'll love  :lol:

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 15:26 »
My girls loved the chickens and we now know whic one is called what.  The lightest is Choc, the darkest Doodle leaving Do the most confident one.

Last night Do decided to jump on the nesting box, then on top of the house so I had to get her down before she made a bid for freedom.  Today the hubby and I have had hawthorns picking our butt putting mesh over the top, so it's now half roofed and I'm ordering some plastic sheeting for the remainder, so our putting a roof on before winter has been massively rescheduled.

They were a bit nervous this morning as today they met the children, cats and dog, but after us all in and out all day they're nicely relaxed.  The roosting bars in the house have been raised now too.  Our neighbours got their 3 hens from the same flock today too!

They are awesome, they've been lazing in the sun which is lovely - I'm a very contented chicken keeper today  :D

NormandyMary

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 16:33 »
Many congratulations on getting your new beautiful girls. I wish you many happy mornings of egg collection!!

Mary.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 18:14 »
Thankyou, you've all been so lovely and really helpful.  I'm sure I'll have many more questions and pictures over the weeks and years

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 10:15 »
Choc, Doodle, Do, awwww  ::)
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 14:53 »
I had 2 chickens on the same day as you so i know how it feels. its the first time i have had any and they are fab.your girls look great congrats..
Pull up a perch!!

xx
Two new ladies

Started by Carolf on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 13:13
by Carolf
xx
My Ladies

Started by My Girls on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 20:55
by bantam novice
xx
Three ladies

Started by Robbo on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 18:11
by ANHBUC
xx
Thanks to my old ladies!

Started by Chrysalis on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 15:09
by Epona_4

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 27 queries.